Tuesday 2 January 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 2 January 2024 - T for Happy New year!

 Happy New Year everyone! A new year has started. I can't believe how fast time passes. I hope that this year will be a good year, at least for me a better year than last year. I will do my very best to make people happy (and that will make me happy).

On Friday I went to empty my postbox and there were five postcards from the USA. They tend to all arrive at once for some reason. Let me show you this one:

It comes from San Diego, California. I love old doors (I wish they could tell their story).

The stamps are beautiful:

The left stamp Elizabeth will like. It is a carousel horse and it comes from a series of stamps featuring carousel horses:
Beautiful, aren't they?

The next stamp features the NY headquarter of the United Nations :
You can see the words: What RU doing 4 Peace? That is a good question. We have all been wishing each other peace and health for the coming year, but sadly peace still seems to be elusive in this world.


The stamp on the top right is my favorite. It represents Ayn Rand. I had to look her up and I found out this:
Alice O'Connor, better known by her pen name Ayn Rand, was a Russian-born American writer and philosopher. She is known for her fiction and for developing a philosophical system she named Objectivism. Born and educated in Russia, Rand moved to the United States in 1926.


The bottom stamp is a Christmas stamp. 

I found this information:
 Christmas stamps were issued October 30, 1984.
The traditional Christmas stamp was issued in Washington, DC, and featured a Madonna and Child painted by Fra Filippo Lippi, a fifteenth-century Italian artist. The original painting hangs in the National Gallery of Art, where the First Day Ceremony took place.
Now let me tell you what has been going on here. I have had a family of four from the Netherlands visiting me over the Christmas period. 


I had befriended them in the Redeemer church in Rotterdam when I was there. It was a very successful visit.


 They enjoyed it as much as I did. The children were really nice kids and we all got on well.
And as today we celebrate the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard, 
I need a photo with a drink in it. Well, I have plenty of those as we did a lot of eating and drinking:
We had alcohol free beer as we were both driving. We were there in two cars, as the family would be going on to visit Madrid for a few days. (And I would drive home).

I have so many photos that this post would become too long, so I will leave some for next week.

Again wishing you a very good 2024 and a happy first T-Day.
Hugs,
Lisca








12 comments:

junemac2 said...

Hello Lisca, My name is june and i am a follower of your blog but have been missing a while, I wll try and keep up as determined to blog more in 2024 :) I love your post. How beautiful the carousel horse stamps are and so unusual too. It looks like you all had a lovely time even without alcohol lol. Happy New Year xxx

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful card and stamps indeed.
Also nice to see you happy and in happy company! To a good 2024, to health, fun, friends, good food, drink and... blogging, hugs

My name is Erika. said...

I love old doors too and that postcard is amazing. It looks like you had a busy holiday week too with your company. I bet it was a lot of fun to have some kids around too. I hope they weren't too crazy. :) I hope you have a super T and start to the new year. I actually hope you have a wonderful 2024 and your year is filled with smiles and hugs and good health. hugs-Erika

jinxxxygirl said...

Oh Goodness! What a nice visit for you! I love old doors too!!! I have a big folder on Pinterest that i save pictures of door and door knockers to.. Happy New YEar Lisca and Happy T day!! Hugs! deb

Let's Art Journal said...

Loving that postcard with the worn wooden doors - beautiful 😊. Happy T Tuesday and wishing you all the best for 2024! Hugs, Jo x

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, those stamps are all gorgeous-love the horses Love the doors too on the postcard Happy New Year and Happy T hugs Kathy

Divers and Sundry said...

Sounds like a lovely visit :) Happy T Tuesday

Carola Bartz said...

It looks like you had a good time with your visitors. Isn't it nice to have people visit you that you actually get along with well? I love the pictures of all of you.
I hope that 2024 will be a good year for you - and for our world, our planet. Happy T day - Carola

Cloudia said...

Thank You for this lovely post! Aloha

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love how you find so much interesting facts about your postcards and stamps. How great to have friends visit - loving the blue sky too! Happy T Day, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That postcard is gorgeous. I know you love old doors, so that must have been a fun postcard for you.

Beautiful stamps. My favorite is Ayn Rand. I love her works like The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. I have read all her books and love them. BTW, in case you didn't know, her name sounds like Eye n.

You had some great company and it sounds like the children were great, too. Nice that you had non-alcoholic beer. Makes it great since you had to drive home. Thanks for sharing your postcard, guests from the Netherlands, and your beer with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Darla said...

I have family in San Diego so your postcard got a smile from me right away. You received such a lovely variety of stamps too. I admire you for providing hospitality to your friends, it sounds like you just fit one another right away. That's awesome