Friday 17 November 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 17 November 2023 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies,

Today is all about sharing this week's smiles and silver linings. For me there have been many. I'm so happy to be back home again!

The thing that always makes me smile is a postcard. Here is a rather cheeky funny one that arrived recently:

It comes to me from the Ukraine. From a girl called  Zera.
She wishes me success and happiness.

The stamps are gorgeous:

The stamp on the right (I don't know if it is a Christmas tamp) is from 2022 and it features Lada, the godess of motherhood. 

Ukrainian postage issue according to "Europa" on the theme "Stories and Myths" is dedicated to the ancient Slavic gods Svarog and Lada. Svarog is the god of fire and blacksmithing. It is believed that Svarog created the Universe, the Earth, all animals on it and people, established marriage laws.  Svarog is associated with a sign in the form of a cross – Svarga, which is a symbol of holiness, spiritual power. Lada is the goddess of motherhood, spring, love and marriage. According to legend, she was the wife of the god Svarog and the mother of Lelya and Polel. In Slavic mythology, Lada appears in the image of a beautiful woman decorated with roses and spikelets.  The author of the issue – Ukrainian artist Mykolai Kochubei – used signs in the sketches, which, being intertwined in the plot, turn symbols into images. Thus, in the festive women's round dance and in the rapid running of horses, the Svarga sign is encoded, and in the double helix of DNA – endless movement and the process of evolution.

 The other stamp is part of a series on the Ukranian alphabet:
The alphabeth letter that features on 'my' stamp is the Ukranian letter 'Y'. The stamp gives the word 'smile' as an example. The word for 'smile' in Ukranian is усмішка, (usmishka).

So, what has been happening here? 
Did I tell you that I had my nails done last week?
My daughter-in-law had treated me to nice nails more than a month ago when I was in the UK. Well, my nails had grown so much since then that I needed them done again. Luckily we have a beautician here in the village,
so I had them done again.
As a nurse I have never been able to grow my nails. (Not hygienic and could be uncomfortable for the patients) So now I am retired, it gives me great pleasure to grow my nails and have them look pretty.

On Friday I had my eyes tested and I also chose a new frame. I hope my new glasses will be ready either Friday (later today) or Saturday. So look out for pictures next week.

On Saturday I went out with my lodger to buy some roof panelling to cover part of the upstairs terrace. It should protect against the brunt of all the bad weather and in summer it will give a little shade on the window and patio doors.
Later that day we had a fellowship lunch with the English speaking Christians living locally. It was really lovely but I didn't take any pictures as I still didn't have my phone back.

On Sunday I went for an organised walk in the mountains. You might have seen the photos on my Tuesday blog post. If not, here is just one:

Then at last on Tuesday, my phone arrived! Haleluyah! My friends Kim and Andy came to lunch but my phone was charging so again, no photos.

On Wednesday I went shopping in town as I hadn't been able to drive (My driving license is with my phone). Then in the evening I went to a prayer meeting at my friend Antonia's. 

It was lovely to see everyone again. Evenings can be cool so Antonia had lit the fire:
The weather is really nice in the day when the sun shines and we can go short sleeved, but in the evening it can get cold. I have a throw over my legs in the evenings.

I'm writing this late on Thursday evening. My smiles for Thursday were the two tv programs I watched (on catch-up). I'm following the new series of Shetland
Which even without DI Jimmy Perez is still pretty good. Anyone else watching it?
I also watched Portillo's Andalucia (Channel 5). 
The first episode is familiar territory for me (Granada). So I enjoyed watching that. Michael Portillo is not on a train this series, but visiting the places where he spent time with his father. I can recommend it.

That was my week and all my smiles. I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time. I hope to meet you there with your smiles.

Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca







 











8 comments:

DVArtist said...

I love that post card and stamps. Nice nails. You have very nice hands. Glad you were able to take a walk and have so many friends come visit you. A while back you asked what the jars in my pantry are. I am making Apple Cider Vinegar. A few more months and it will be done. Hope your join FFO. Have a nice evening.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a unique postcard. Reminds me of some I saw on a calendar a few years ago. Those postage stamps are marvelous. I especially liked the alphabet., but I agree the others could pass for Christmas stamps.

SO glad you got your phone and license back. I was really worried it had gotten lost in the mail. It was also great to see you sharing time with friends. Have a super rest of Friday and a great weekend, dear Lisca. Sorry. Never heard of either of those TV shows.

mamapez5 said...

A fun card and lovely stampsthis week.
I can imagine it is good to have your phone back. I would really miss mine now. You have had a busy week with friends, meetings and walking. The days are lovely here too. It is good to make the most of the sunny afternoons sitting outside to read, crochet or whatever craft I am busy with.
I am also enjoying the new Shetland series and following Michael Portillo in Andalucia. I have recognised places in ewach of the first two episodes but it is good to see them from a different perspective. Hope you have another enjoyable week. Kate x

Iris Flavia said...

Wow on the alphabeth. One of my teamleaders who grew up in former East-Germany once sang the Russian alphabeth to me.
My nails keep breaking... your do look very pretty.
We had 2C this morning, definitively warm clothes and hot tea required...
I´ve never heard of Shetland. I love movies, too, where my area is shown - have a happy Friday! Hugs

Annie said...

I'm wondering if that was meant to be you on the card :-) I love how much you fill your days with...keep it up my friend.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Sorry I'm late getting to you this week just got caught up with stuff. Every time I get here I see even more beautiful stamps and the postcard is fun too. pleased to see you've had another good week. Sending hugs Angela X

Anonymous said...

I find the Shetland detective series on BBC really gripping, and the scenery is stunning! Didn't think I'd like it so much now the central character has left, but once again I'm waiting on the edge of my chair for each episode!
Keren x

Anonymous said...

"edge of my chair"? "waiting on the edge of my seat" I meant!
Keren