Friday 10 November 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 10 November 2023 - Friday Smiles


Hello lovely ladies,
At last I am back home! I'm so happy to be able to sleep in my own bed! I've started doing Pilates, yoga and gym so I feel physically a bit battered. Every muscle in my body aches, but that will pass in a few days. It's been so long since I exercised.

I left my phone at my cousin's and she has sent it in the post, but I still haven't received it. I'm writing this on Thursday evening. I hope it will arrive on Friday as I don't want to be another weekend without my phone. I'll be going on a walk on Sunday and I would like to be able to take some pictures. 

As it is I have no photos to show you, but I do have a postcard:  
This one comes from Russia. It was sent by Snezha, who lives with her boyfriend Artem in St Petersburg. She wishes me a warm and cozy autumn.

The stamps are the standard, but beautiful Russian stamps.

The bottom one is a sticker. She added two stickers on the other side too:


Just before I left, in September, I bought a new stove. A pellet burner. September was quite warm, so I had never lit it. The other day, my friends Kim and Andy came to see me and they have an identical stove, so Andy set it up for me and set the temperature to 23 degree C.  Then when it got dark, I lit the fire (read: I pressed the button) and hey presto, we had lift-off. I love to see a flame, and sure enough it had a flame. Quite a big one to start with, but it dies down a bit when the desired temperature has been reached.


So this is my main smile (apart from the pleasure of being at home at last). 

As you can imagine, when I traveled I read a lot of books. Hanging around and waiting for trains and planes will get anyone reading. I love the writer Joy Ellis. She writes crime novels set on the Fens. There is a series about a detective called Nicky Galera and there is a series with Jackman and Evans. I have read the whole Jackman & Evans series. They're really good, and I have read most of Nicky Galera books. Anyone else read books by Joy Ellis?
Then there is this delightful book which was recommended to me, called The Lost Bookshop.
It is a blend of historical and romance fiction, with a sprinkle of magic realism. It has two timelines: One is 1921 where Opaline flees England to escape an arranged marriage and ends up in Paris working in a bookshop.The second timeline is the 1970s where Martha and Henry meet in Dublin where Henry is looking for a lost bookshop.... 

I'm now reading The Institution by  Helen Fields.
On a locked ward in the world's highest-security prison hospital for the criminally insane, a nurse has been murdered and her newborn baby abducted. A forensic profiler Dr Connie Woolwine must go deep undercover amongst the most deranged and dangerous men on earth and use her unique skills to find the baby before it's too late.

It is the second book. The first one is The Shadow Man.
Three people are locked in a flat. The don't know where they are or why they are there. They only know the shadow man has taken them and he won't let them go. They must find a way to escape their living hell.
It is the first book where Dr Connie Woolwine appears together with detective Baada.

Both books are full-on thrillers. Very scary at times. 

Apart from reding I also watch tv ocasionally. I've started watching the new Shetland series. I didn't know whether I would like it now DI Jimmy Perez has left, but it's good. Very good. Another smile for Annie. Anyone else watching this?

That's all from me this week. I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles at A Stitch In Time.

And as per usual, I'll post some funnies at the end.

Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca













































 

6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That's a lovely postcard. I immediately saw the kitty. Nice postage stamps, even if you have seen them before.

Glad you got your pellet burner going. I bet that made you happy. It was a bright light, too. I enjoyed your funnies. I think my favorite was the girl who forgot to put the lid on tight.

I hope you get your phone back soon. I'll take my camera any day, even with all it's been through lately.

Have a super Friday and rest of the weekend, dear Lisca.

My name is Erika. said...

You've read some good books Lisca, and that stove looks great. I bet it will keep you very warm this winter. We're going to lightening our wood stove soon is this weather keeps up as it is. Glad you home safe and sound and happy weekend. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Wonderful stove - and with just one click, too!

Love the tooth-fairy one and wonder if it worked! :-)
Have a smiley Friday, hugs

mamapez5 said...

I know what you mean about sleeping in your own bed, but I am sure all your travels made the wait worthwhile.
You sure did a lot of reading, and now I have some new authors to look uponmy next searchfor new reading material.
I am also enjoyingthe new Shetland series. My hearing is failing a bit and I have trouble with the accent sometimes, but I am managing to follow it so far.
Your stove looks so good and it is great to have almost instant warmth when you need it. We jhve not had any heating on yet, but I must confess that 23º would be a bit too hot for me.
You put me to shame with all your exercise, but I am not able to do much of that these days. But for today getting my washing pegged out in the sunshine will suffice.
Enjoy being back home. Kate xx

Annie said...

I'm very late visiting this week....I had another busy day yesterday and went to see our grandaughter Lulu in her school performance of Grease last night...she was brilliant so lots more memories made.
Hope you get your phone back soon...its like having your arm chopped off isn't it? Love the funnies although I have seen several of them before.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, sorry I'm so late this week but after taking the dogs to the groomers it was very sunny coming home and I think it got to my head and by the time we were home I had a migraine and went to bed for the rest of the day but I'm here now. Loving your new postcard and stamps. Pleased you returned safely and the new stove is working well. Loved the funnies especially ther dog rolling in the smell, looks familiar! Wishing you a lovely weekend, Hugs Angela xXx