Monday 2 September 2019

A Postcard A Day - Second on the second (An old post from years ago)


Here is my contribution from 2014 for

 Second on the Second. 

No postcards this time.


FRIDAY, 26 SEPTEMBER 2014

Ship Ahoy! - CSI challenge 140

Scrapbook page ‘Ship Ahoy!’


I like to do the CSI challenge (Colors, Stories and Inspiration)http://csicolorstoriesinspiration.ning.com/
This week’s challenge had a nautical theme and beautiful autumn colours.


I’ve documented my very first adventure as a 4 year old. In 1955 my mum wasn’t well and I went to stay with a lovely friend of the family in England.

In those days there were no regular ferries between Holland and England so I traveled on a ship called the Batavier, which sailed between Rotterdam and Tilbury docks in London. 

My Sunday School teacher Ria, who was going to visit England anyway, agreed to take me. I look a bit bewildered in the photographs but I have very sweet memories of that summer.

I liked the last week’s sketch (by Em Stafrace) so much that I decided to use it here. Last week’s double page layout (Almonds) just wasn’t suitable. The pointy design of the sketch sort of looks like the bow of a ship and the nautical theme fits beautifully.


I had some old patterned papers by Cosmo Cricket: ‘Gretel’ which had just the right colours. The Evidence can be found in the polka dots, the animal accent (dolphins) and the nautical element (image of the ship). The Testimony lies in the documenting of an adventure.

The journaling is hidden behind the two photos and can be pulled out at the arrow. It reads: “In June 1955 a friend of the family, Ria, took me to England to stay with my ‘aunty’ Grace in St Ives, Cornwall. Travelling was an adventure and travelling without my parents at the tender age of 4 was anenormous adventure! In those days there were no ferries between Holland and England and I traveled on a ship called the Batavier. Grace took delivery of me and looked after me for a whole, love filled summer.”


Thank you so much for popping by. 
Bye for now and keep.... scrapping!
God bless.
Lisca

7 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've always enjoyed those CSI challenges, even though I don't scrap. You did a marvelous job and hid the journaling well. That is the one thing that turned me off on scrapbooking. I don't mind a word or two on a page, but I'm not one to write a book about an adventure. However, I think you do an absolutely marvelous job and I am so very glad you shared this with us as your second look on the 2nd. I know others will be impressed with it as much as I am, because for me, it's a first look. BTW, you are an adorable child.

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a lovely post you've shared again, must have been a fun trip for you. Such sweet childhood photos! Happy 2nd on the 2nd, hugs, Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great scrapbook page and artwork Lisca.

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful post Lisca thanks for sharing
Happy second on the 2nd hugs Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

That is a fascinating adventure Lisca and I love how you documented it. I am glad you shared this page for second on the second. I've got to go write my post. hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

To answer your question about second on the 2nd, I have to say "sort of." Once a YEAR for three years, Seth Apter would have us repost a blog post. However, he didn't use links, but had us send him e-mails, after which he would post our links. He stopped doing that once a year repost, and I liked the idea so much, I decided to do it once a month. That's when Second on the 2nd was born. I was also preparing for a blog hop called "Grow Your Blog," and decided that might be another way to grow my blog. I was able to get the icon finished in time, and thanks to Halle, who turned it into a linkable link, I was set to unveil it when the blog hop took place. Thanks for asking.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love how you recorded you 'big adventure' - a great second look! Hugs, Chrisx