Tuesday 24 September 2019

A Postcard A Dat - Tuesday 24 September 2019 - T for...


Hello lovely people!
I am scheduling this post as we will be away. We will have been away for a long weekend and we hope to be back on Tuesday evening, so I will be late in commenting too. I have my iPad with me and my iPhone but neither of them agree with Blogger.

I'm hoping to join the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard on Altered Book Lover, but first some postcards. This first one comes from Russia, although it is clearly a Chinese scene (or Japanese). I have no idea what he is doing because I can't read the Chinese. The image is printed on a kraft coloured card.
 These are the stamps. They are much smaller than usual. (But still quite pretty)
 This young lady in traditional costume is from the Ukraine.The artist is Kateryna Biletina.
 The stamps are wonderful. I think the top one is my entry ticket to the T-Party. It has a coffee pot in it!
I have not been able to find out which church this is but it sure is beautiful.

Here is another qualifier for the T-Party:

 These are our friends Kim and Andy. They have participated in the Cascamorros in Baza. People paint themselves with black oil.
 It's good to cover your hair as well as the black stuff gets everywhere. Here is Kim with Inma (another friend of ours).

All these photos were taken by Kim and Andy.
 This is a messy one! One man plays the role of the Cascamorras (see below) dressed as a harlequin, carrying a large flag with him. He tries to run through the town to retrieve the statue of the Virgen de la Piedad, and the townspeople try and cover him in black paint and oil.

When he returns to his own town without the statue, the disappointed locals give him a second coat of paint!


Why: The most widely-accepted version of the story goes that hundreds of years ago, there was a dispute between Baza and Guadix, two neighboring towns.

A guy from Guadix (the ‘Cascamorras’) found the statue Virgen de la Piedad (‘Our Lady of Mercy’) in Baza, and tried to take it back to Guadix. The courts ruled that the statue should stay in Baza but the Guadix people could have it one day a year.

 
The people of Baza weren’t happy with this arrangement, which led to the tradition that the Cascamorras can only take the statue if he reaches it without getting covered in paint on the way!
 I personally didn't go. It's not really my idea of fun. But the weather was warm (two weeks ago) and the black stuff comes off with Fairy Liquid (a washing up product).

I'll schedule this for Tuesday and lets hope it works.
Happy T-Day everyone,
Hugs and see you soon,
Lisca



11 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

awesome stamps again and postcards-I always enjoy seeing them. very interesting event-I don't think I would want to paint myself in oil either. Happy T hugs Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

That is an interesting event. I have never heard of it, but it might be friend. I don't know about being covered in black paint though, but it must not be too hard to wash off. And that stamp is perfect for T day. You were lucky to get that cool postcard with and notice the stamp. Have a great T day Lisca. Hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

What a fun event, but I don't think I would want to take part if I had to scrub myself off with Fairy afterwards! Love the postcards, and the beautiful stamps from the Ukraine. And I love the Bosshole mug, so true! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Meggymay said...

Covered with black paint doesn't sound fun to me , but the folk sure looked like they didn't mind and were enjoying the events. It was an interesting post to read Lisca.
The postcards looked lovely and super stamps as well.
Happy T day wishes.
Yvonne xx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Beautiful postcards and stamps, Lisca. My guess is that the Oriental man is sealing the inside of what will be a large vat, perrhaps for fermenting soybeans to make miso.

I'll take hot air balloon fests and shawl fashion parades over Cascamorros any day - lol.

I hope you're enjoying your getaway.

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Ukraine is much in the news here lately, so I especially enjoyed that card lol

The festival sounds like fun, and I wouldn't mind the mess, but it looks too crowded for me lol I'm googling Fairy Liquid, as I've never heard of it... looks like it's a P&G product but not available here at all. Ah, well, no Fairy for me ;)

Happy T Tuesday!

Kate Yetter said...

Your postcards and stamps today are so unique and interesting. I love them, especially the traditional costume from Ukraine.
Haha, that mug is such a laugh. Sadly, that is true of some people.
Those photos that your friends took at the Cascamorros are wonderful. A very interesting tradition. In our area they do a color run where every one splashes themselves with paint. I have never participated but my friend does. I don't really go for getting myself all dirty.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Let's Art Journal said...

Those postage stamps caught my eye, they look beautiful 😀. It looks like your friends had fun at this event, we have an event here where people get covered in paint ... not my sort of thing either ...lol 😉. I hope you are having a lovely time on your travels and wishing you a very happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fun post, Lisca. I agree that the postcards are beautiful today. I agree with Eileen. I am sure it is a barrel that is being sealed, but I had no idea it might be for making miso.

Yes the Ukraine is in our news lately, so this postcard impressed me. And the stamp was perfect for T, too. Great call.

I'm not one for big crowds, so I'm sure I would not have enjoyed Cascamorros, although it was great to learn about the history behind it. I am never too old to learn something.

Thanks for sharing your postcards, the Cascamorros parades, the bosshole mug, and the lovely teapot stamp with us for T this Tuesday. Hope you are enjoying your time away, dear Lisca.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful postcards and stamps. That oil event is interesting, but is that really safe to put oil on one's skin? Happy T-Day!

CJ Kennedy said...

I think the man is making a bathtub or a very large wine barrel! The stamps are very pretty especially the coffee or tea. Hmm, getting covered with paint in that manner is not my idea of fun. Better to stay home and get messy making art! 😺 Happy T Day I found in order to comment on Blogger blogs on the iPad, I needed to download Chrome as the web browser and use that.