Friday 20 September 2019

A Postcard A Day - Friday 20 September 2019 - Friday Smiles A hotel, hailstones and a tasteful nude


Hello lovely ladies! Here we are again almost at the end of another week.
Today it's about sharing smiles  and the first one is my postcard from the USA.  It is the Cavalier Hotel at Virginia Beach (Virginia).
 It reads: Established 1927 - Reimagined 2018. I don't know what 'reimagined' is but I assume they have refurbished and modernized. The sender of this card has taken her family there on holiday. They loved it because of the 'chef's garden'. (Does that mean the food is home-grown?)

The stamps were really beautiful too. There is a Tiffany lamp and a Chippendale chair. Then there are some lush cactus flowers. 
The next card comes from Germany. It is a very artistic nude by photographer Gordon Thye. He made a whole book of nudes and portraits, but I have not been able to find out anything about this man.

 The stamps are lovely. There is one of Pina Bausch. I had to look her up as I hadn't heard of her. 
Philippine "Pina" Bausch (27 July 1940 – 30 June 2009) was a German dancer and choreographer who, with a blend of movement, sound, and prominent stage sets, and with performers during the development of a piece (a style now known as Tanztheater), became an influence in the field of modern dance from the 1970s on.

We continue to have very erratic weather. After a few nice days, all of a sudden out of nowhere there was this hail storm! I was sitting in the sun outside when a few raindrops fell, so i went in and drew up the sunshade. Just as well I did as a minute late I heard these enormously loud bangs. It was hail falling on the patio table (which is glass!). This was the size:

 It only lasted 10 minutes and this photo was taken afterwards, before it all melted again.
Our car was under the carport so didn't get damaged, but cars and crops were damaged. I can't begin to think what it did to the grapes which are just about ready to be harvested here.
 The next day I walked through the little park where I saw the council workers busy clearing up. A lot of tree leaves and debris was on the floor.

 .They had already done half of it

The next day we were back having our meals outside.
This weekend our fast ends and we are planning a weekend away on the coast (locally). We are going to suss out a camp site to take the grandchildren next summer. It must have a shallow pool and it must be fenced (so they can't 'escape').

So more photos next week.
I am now going to link up with Annie (She should be back now) at A Stitch In Time and with Virginia at Rocking Your Week Friday.
As usual there are a few funnies at the end. Wedding funnies again.
Have a great weekend,
and keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca








7 comments:

  1. I looked up the Cavalier Hotel and it really HAS been reimagined. Only the exterior seems to be the same. A complete overhaul and renovation with the hotel going from 195 guest rooms to 62 guest rooms and 23 suites, all decorated differently and all larger than the original rooms.

    To me, a chef's garden is one where you cook what is ready to harvest that day. You never get the same thing for more than a few days or weeks at a time.

    The nude is tasteful and different. Those are lovely stamps, too.

    So sorry to read about your hail storm. I hope the grape industry doesn't suffer too greatly.

    So glad you enjoyed that "fast." As I've said, I could gladly eat anything you put in front of me on this fast, but I could never give up my coffee. You wouldn't like me very much if I did (grin).

    Those wedding funnies are great. I loved the one where the woman reached over to hug the bride and a man got caught under their HUG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I accidentally published too soon. Have a great Friday, a lovely weekend, and a wonderful week away, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary...those look more like golf balls! Glad you didn't get too much damage and hopefully the grapes will survive it. Your funnies really got me chuckling...right place at the right time with the camera I guess.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Lisca what a week you've had. The postcards and stamps are lovely and the nude reminds me of some art work my hubby did when he was at Art college though they nearly got thrown out for taking photographs of her when it came too they were only annoyed because they have to pay more for a photographic model than a still life model. Gosh you were lucky with the hail. We had some years ago and it smashed through a carbonate roof in the extension. By the way before I forget. It's interesting that the word Tartar is to do with time because the name of the space ship 'Tardis' stands for 'Time and Relative Dimension in Space' which is making me think that may be where they got the idea from for the name, interesting! I have to say the funny photographs are a killer! really made me laugh. That first one with the cat is a stunner and I might have to copy it as I have a friend who will love it. Have a great weekend. Sending big hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah bless, the postcards are fabulous as always.

    Wow that hail looks crazy, I can't believe the size of it, you are definitely having some mad weather in Spain at the moment. I hope things settle as crops and harvests at this time of year are critical.

    I hope your camping weekend goes according to plan and that it's suitable for your grandchildren to visit.

    Hugs

    Virginia

    PS Sorry about last week blog explains more

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes a chef's garden is a show garden for visitors, where some of the produce may be used in cooking but not all the cooking comes from there. I don't know about this particular harden. I know that cutting gardens and kitchen gardens around here are sometimes a style rather than a function.

    I googled Gordon Thye, and found books about him and a biography here: http://www.gordenthye.de/biographie/ That postcard is an interesting shot with hair covering the face and the rest of the figure nude.

    Such hail! Bummer! We only rarely get hail here. I'm glad you're able to be back outside for meals. You have such a good spot for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That hail is something! Wow! Interesting nude photograph. Love the funnies! Hope you had a great week-end. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete