Monday 11 March 2024

Monday Murals: Monday 11 March 2024 - Albox market

 Hello, I sometimes look at Monday murals through Elizabeth and Bluebeard but I have never participated. But I photographed a mural the other day:


It is found on the wall of the indoor market in Albox, in the province of Almeria in southern Spain. 


I live an hour and a half drive away (Blue dot on the map) from Albox (Red marker on the map) and my friend suggested we visit the (outdoor) market on a Tuesday. We eventually found a parking space and when I park in an unknown area, I always turn round and take a photo of where I am parked so it's easier to find the car again. Of course now I also have a photo of this fantastic mural. I'm afraid I don't know the artist as I didn't look for a signature. Also we did not go inside the indoor market. I don't even know if there was an indoor market.

Here are some images of Albox found on the Internet.
Albox is set amidst a stunning landscape of arid hills with olive groves, citrus fruit orchards and almond trees, and dramatic hills and valleys. Situated in the basin of the Almanzora River, Albox is bisected by one of the Almanzora’s tributaries, a mostly dry riverbed known as the Rambla, which is crossed by three bridges. The town has around 12,500 inhabitants. (Saskia Mier)

The town has a significant British ex-pat population, and although I am not British, I do like 'fish and chips' . So my friend and I treated ourselves to a fish and chips lunch at a restaurant called Chapman's:
The weather was nice enough to sit outside, which is good as my friend has dogs.

And this is what we got:
The green blob on the right is 'mushy peas' . Again a British peculiarity. Wikipedia writes this:
Mushy peas are dried marrowfat peas which are first soaked overnight in water with baking soda, and then rinsed in fresh water, after which the peas are gathered in a saucepan, covered with water, and brought to a boil, and then simmered until the peas are softened. The mush is seasoned with salt and pepper. Wikipedia

Thank you for reading my contribution to Monday Murals.

Take care and

Keep smiling!

Lisca









2 comments:

DVArtist said...

Wow what a beautiful mural. A drive to the market I would love that. Ohhh please send me some of that fish. LOL

Mae Travels said...

That looks like a very pleasant little town, and the fish&chips look good. I have never tasted mushy peas but I suspect I wouldn’t like them. I guess I would try them if I had a chance and didn’t have to give up any other food to do it.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com