Friday 8 March 2024

A Postcard A Day - Friday 8 March 2024 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely peeps,

How are you all? I have had lots to smile about this past week. I had my friends over from Brazil. She was here in Spain on a business trip and they both managed to make some time to come and see me for a few days. Photos on my Tuesday blog: 

https://scrappingcavewoman.blogspot.com/2024/03/a-postcard-day-tuesday-5-march-2024-t.html#comment-form

Before I tell you about my week, let me show you my postcard for today:

It's an image of what looks like a wild boar and her piglets. It's a very cute drawing but the artist is not mentioned. The card comes from the Netherlands.
The stamp has a typical Dutch subject:
Tulips!

On Friday I got together with my girl friends. Now we have all been friends for more than ten years, and I see them regularly, but we never actually all get together. So Conchi (second from the right) managed to get us all together and we met at a local bar to chat and catch up:

It was a real highlight of the week. 

Today is International Women's Day. Now I know that in the UK, but in southern Europe it's a big thing. In our village the Women's Association has organised a few things. 

A woman from our village that has made a success of herself (she moved away though) will come to speak about her career, and then a few women business owners in the village will also speak to encourage women to take the plunge so to speak.
The lady on the poster is Dr Angelitas Santamaría. She was a well known physician whose husband was from our village and she spent the last part of her life working and living in our village. I think she will be honoured on Saturday. (She died in 1998)

I went to the gym this morning and I passed by where we (as women of the village) have planted the purple violets:
They are doing ok. That was way back in November.
The plaque reads: 'Freedom and life for women'. (It was against domestic violence).

Here in southern Spain it is strawberry season and I have eaten strawberries every day. I take advantage as I love strawberries. I also found Padrón peppers. I don't know if it is season for them but I found them in the shop and I couldn't resist:

The weather has been sunny but we have had some pretty wicked storms. Gale force winds. The almond trees are flowering and the storm will damage the flowers (future almonds). Here are some photos of local almond trees from the village town hall website:
Aren't they gorgeous?
The sign says Sierra de Baza, which is a natural park. I live on the edge of that park. (just outside the boundary)

That's all from me today. As per usual I will post some funnies at the end for you to smile about.
Have a great weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca


Caption reads: That cannot be true!

































6 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca another good week I see. Love the postcard and stamp, you must have quite a coillection by now. Strawberries, my favourite. Brilliant collection of funnies too. I especially like the one about the guy using his wife's fabric scissors to cut paper obviously he doesn't deserve to go to heaven Hee! Hee! Hugs Angela xXx

mamapez5 said...

Lovely to meet up with friends, and you remembered to take a photo this time! Aren't the almond trees beautiful. We are a bit ahead of you down here and our blossom is almost over but the high winds certainly helped it on its way.
I like your purple violets., That was a good idea, and now they are flowering.
You do find some good funnies to make us smile. I love the Dr Zeuss one. It reminds me of all the times I read his book with my boys, and at nursery. His sing song rhymes made them easy and fun. This is a great parady of his style.
Hope you have a good week. Kate x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a lovely postcard. I LOVE the tulip postage stamp, too. It screams spring.

Nice that you and your friends could all meet for a drink and get together. And it is great the violets are blooming. Domestic violence needs to be brought to the forefront and not hidden behind closed doors.

The almond blossoms are beautiful. I hope the wind doesn't destroy too many. Hope you have a great weekend, dear.

LOVED the man and his wife's scissors. He deserves to go to Hades! Really cute funnies this week.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca I saw your question about the craft kit. The lady who sells them also does a video to go with the project and has a facebook page too wher people add their finished work. She designs some lovely projects which you can copy or add your own ideas which I must say I am always tempted to do. I like to do my own thing but sometimes it's just nice to have all that stuff in front of you and know where you've going with it, quite relaxing really which reminds me I must get started on it soon. Hugs Angela xxx

Anonymous said...

I love the little striped piglets….soooo cute. It sounds like you’ve had a lovely week. Your funnies really bad me chuckling.
Hugs,
Annie x

My name is Erika. said...

Those almond trees in blossoms and fresh strawberries, I am jealous. There won't be strawberries in my area until June. My snow just disappeared yesterday. I bet it was fun to get together with your friends and get to see them all at once. Have a great weekend. hugs-Erika