Tuesday 6 February 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 6 February 2024 - T for postcards

 Hello lovely peeps,

Here we are again on Tuesday morning getting ready for the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard. I usually show a postcard on my blog. But this time I have not one, not two, not three, but four postcards to show you. Yes, four! The lovely, above mentioned Elizabeth has sent me four postcards as part of the exchange in celebration of 10 years T-Party. I am 'over the moon' as they say! 

This is the cutest ATC that she made celebrating 10 years .


Thank you so much Elizabeth! I love The ATC and these cards of the different states of the US. 

There is a map of the state and information such as the state bird or state flower. 

I will show you two postcards today and two next week.

The first postcard is from Oklahoma

To my great shame I didn't know Oklahoma was a state. I thought it was a city in Texas. Sorry. I also had to look it up on the map:
It's near Texas though. 
The name Oklahoma comes from the Choktaw word 'okla' meaning people and the word 'humma' which means red. 
The state bird is the Scissor-tailed flycatcher, the state tree is the redbud and the state flower is mistletoe
The card mentions it's the Sooner State. I looked that up too. Wikipedia tells me: This is in reference to the Sooners, settlers who staked their claims in formerly American Indian-owned lands until the Indian Appropriations Act of 1889 authorized the Land Rush of 1889 opening the land to white settlement.
There is so much more I can write about Oklahoma, but I have three more cards to show you. Let me just add this for the Europeans among us: Many of you remember the song '24 Hours from Tulsa'. Well, Tulsa is a city in Oklahoma!

My next card features Illinois.


There's no map on the card. So to show you where it is:
It borders Lake Michigan in the north and that is also where the famous city of Chicago is.
Elizabeth will be pleased to know that the state bird is the Cardinal.

The stamps are gorgeous. Thank you Elizabeth.

The stamp with the red pears,
was issued on the 23rd of March (my birthday) 2017.

Below that you can see a 1cent apple stamp.

It was issued in 2016.

The apple and orange duo dates from 2021:
They are very colourful indeed. There had previously been a similar series with peaches and pears.

OK enough about postcards and stamps. What has been going on here in Spain? 

I have been complaining about a bad back, I really felt like I was 90 years old and walked with a stoop. I booked a massage at the gym. The owner, Kate, specializes in sports injuries but was happy to book me in (I've known her for years). She gave me a massage that lasted an hour and it appeared that the muscles in my back and neck had seized up and now I feel so much better. I went to yoga this morning (I'm writing this on Monday evening) and all is well.

The other good news is that my friend Tam, who placed my wall safe last week, has this weekend started to sort out the cave house next door. The front patio (Behind the green gate) was full of junk, so I hired a skip and Tam spent the weekend clearing the patio. Good man!
In the photo the skip is empty but it was full when I had it taken away again this morning.
Tam will be back next weekend with a plumber and will hopefully move my dishwasher and service my water softening installation, and put anti-freeze in my solar panel.

I remember the 60s and I think we did have a point....

Saturday I hosted a fellowship meal and Bible study for English speaking Christians. We were about ten people.
The meal was a 'bring-and-share' meal and as you can see below, it was all very delicious:
This was supposed to be my ticket to the T-Party, but there is no drink in sight. Oh dear. 
Well, how about this fun bathroom I found on the Internet:
Isn't that fun!
That is all from me this Tuesday. Take care,
Hugs,
Lisca

PS, I've just spotted a can of Pepsi on the table with the food.




























7 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was blown away that you have received the ATC so quickly. You might notice the envelope had been opened and reclosed. I found the Illinois card after I had the other three sealed and felt it would be one you would enjoy, too, since you seem to like the ones with maps. BTW, the apples and oranges are from 2001, not 2021. Postage hasn't been that cheap since then. Oklahoma is just south of Kansas. It is also just north of Texas. I'm glad I'm not the only one geographically challenged.

I had to laugh because I saw the Pepsi and glass near it before I read you found it. I also saw all the glasses in the photo with all the visitors.

What an amazing person and friend Tam is. He is worth his weight in gold.

Thanks for sharing your drinks, postcards, and week with us for T this Tuesday. Glad you got your ATC.

Iris Flavia said...

The stamps made me hungry!
I sure do love that shower, happy T-Day, hugs

Mae Travels said...

Some kids collect cards of all the states, and like the ones that give info such as your examples. My sister’s collection has (I think) a card from every state. Interesting that you didn’t know about Oklahoma, as it’s the name of a Rogers & Hammerstein opera and the title song is very catchy — like earworm catchy!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

How great to have such good neighbours who help you. I have some lovely ones here, too, so I feel happy! Enjoy your new postcards and have a great week, hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

Wonderful gifts and tribute to Elizabeth. I am very familiar with OK. My kids went to college there. You are always so busy. I'm glad your got the massage and your back feels better. Ohhhhhh I so want that shower. That is just so much fun. Have a great day today.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like those stamps.
Good neighbours and friends who help are wonderful aren't they.
That bathroom sure is a fun design :)

Have a good week.

All the best Jan

Carola Bartz said...

Elizabeth was so nice to send you all of these cards. The ATC is cute, isn't it? I received it as well and really like it. I once was in Oklahoma on the Cherokee reservation - yes, native American owned land stolen by white Europeans. Nothing to be proud of.
I think your friend Tam is a real keeper! The food looks delicious - I think I'm getting hungry! Have a lovely rest of the week, Lisca. Hugs - Carola