Tuesday 20 February 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 20 February 2024 - T for doors, coffee and work being done.

 Hello lovely girls, Hoe are you all?

I have an unusual postcard for you today. Unusual in the sense that it was not a card sent to me, but to my friend Keren by her brother when he was in New York, and I'm sharing it with you today:


The info on the back of the card is this:
I realise it's not easy to read: 

Chelsea Hotel, 222 West 23rd Street, Chelsea.The Hotel Chelsea - also called the Chelsea Hotel - is a twelve storey 250-room hotel that opened in 1884. It was the tallest building in New York until 1902 and has been the home of numerous writers, musicians, artists and actors including Mark Twain, Dylan Thomas, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, William Burroughs, Arthur Clarke, who wrote ´2001: A Space Odyssey' there. Jasper Johns, Arthur Miller, Gore Vidal, Sid Vicious, Tennessee Williams, Willem de Kooning, Jack Kerouac, who wrote 'On The Road' there. Dennis Hopper, Madonna, Tom Waits, Edie Sedgwick, Edith Piaf, Iggy Pop, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, and Leonard Cohen who penned Chelsea Hotel2, about fellow Chelsea Hotel resident Janis Joplin: "I remember you well, in the Chelsea Hotel, You were famous, your heart was a legend. You told me again, you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception".


It's the famous Chelsea Hotel. Numerous famous authors, painters and musicians lived there. There are many stories told about this hotel and it's residents but my favourite story is the doors....
The old doors were auctioned recently

When the hotel was refurbished, some of the doors were rescued by Jim Georgiou, a former resident who lived for a decade in room 225 - Bob Dylan's room. 


Hit on hard times, Georgiou found himself homeless in 2007. So enamoured by the Chelsea, after his eviction, he slept in the hotel lobby for a month, and eventually began sleeping outside of it. In 2012, when the new owners began to renovate, Georgiou saw workmen carrying out the doors and leaving them on the curbside for the garbage truck.... He managed to rescue 52 doors eventually and  stored them in a nearby storage facility owned by a friend. 


They were sold at auction and raised 400,000 $! Someone paid 100,000 $ for Bob Dylan's door alone! Though Georgiou was homeless, he wanted  half of his earnings to go to City Harvest, a food rescue and distribution non-profit organisation in New York.

What a story! The stamp was the Christmas season poinsettia:

Other than this postcard, I haven't got much to share with you. I have a workman working to get the cavehouse finished:
He lives a few houses down from me and him and his wife are friends of mine. He started at the beginning of this month. At the moment he is tackling the patio, which is a mess. He's making a housing for the washing machine and the gas boiler.

I have been out for a drink with friends on Saturday evening, but can't find the photos. I do want to join the lovely ladies of the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard. For that I need a drink, so here is a coffee:

To finish off I would like to show you the photo that Maaike, my Dutch friend, sent me recently:


She took this photo of Graham and me about 3 years ago when I took them to a local beauty spot to watch the sunset. Sweet memories....

That is all from me this week. 

Happy T-Day all!

Take care and keep smiling.

Lisca















9 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an amazing postcard. I read it before you wrote the words. It's truly a fascinating story and amazing hotel. Bon Jovi wrote Midnight in Chelsea, a song I remember. I understand it has gone through several changes and the interior is nothing like what it was like when Bob Dylan lived there. Thanks for sharing this postcard and bringing back memories from years ago (the 80s).

Looks like your friend has a mess on that patio, but I bet it will be looking good in no time at all.

What a cute image you gave us for your drink entry this week, dear. Thanks for sharing with us for T this Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

I love the story of the guy living on the streets spotting the true value of things ... and then halving the proceeds so others could be helped.
What a glorious, beautiful photo of you and Graham - warmed my heart to see it, Keren xx

kathyinozarks said...

This was a beautful post and learning about the doors from the hotel. Cute photo for T and really lovely memories with you and Graham-hugs Happy T Kathy

Mae Travels said...

Having one’s house renovated can be really stressful! Looks like your work is going well, and at least you know the worker. The old photo is lovely.
Have a good week.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

This is a wonderful post. I love the story of the Chelsea. This is a fabulous photo of you and Graham. Yes sweet memories for sure. Have a lovely day today.

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous post and what a beautiful photo of the two of you ❤️. Thanks for sharing the memories. Take care and wishing you a very Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Lisca, fabulous story with Jim Georgiou, love it, what a strong man! Have a happy T day, hugs, Valerie

Carola Bartz said...

Such a lovely photo of you and Graham. Yes, those must be sweet memories. I'm sure you miss him a lot.
That's an interesting story about the Chelsea and I like the story about the doors.
Happy T day, dear Lisca. Hugs - Carola

CJ Kennedy said...

A lovely story to go along with the beautiful picture of you and Graham. Happy T Day