Friday 17 February 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 17 February 2023 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely people,

Here I am again going over the week and remembering the smiles and the happy moments. There have been many, but let's start with my postcard for today:

It's an image from the Victoria and Albert Museum with the title: Watching a Pleasure Steamer, Jersey. Photograph by Paul Martin.
The date in the corner reads 1937. 
It's funny but I had guessed that date before I saw it. I have photos of my mother (born in 1924) in similar clothes on the beach of Hoek van Holland (Hook of Holland) watching a similar vessel.
It certainly is a great photo and so typical of its time. 
The card comes to me from the Philipines! Sent by someone called Shannon on the 13th of December last year. And I only received it yesterday!

The stamp is beautiful!



It features Olivia "Bong" Coo - Living Legend - Bowling.
Olivia "Bong" Coo (born June 3, 1948) is a Filipino sports administrator and retired professional bowler.

 She is regarded as the most decorated Filipino athlete. 


She is inarguably the best female ten pin bowler the country has ever produced. The normal thing you see when looking at an athlete’s achievements is there are less gold medals and more on the silver and bronze totals, Bong defies the norm, in her stints as a national team player, she amassed 78 medals, 37 of them gold, almost a 50 percent career record.

She is now 74 years old and if not for the fact that she was appointed a Commissioner in the Philippine Sports Commission last July, she would have added medals again to her collection , this time as a senior bowler.

In February 2022, the Philippine Postal Corporation honored her on a stamp as part of the Outstanding Filipinos Living Legends series in honor of the agency's 75th anniversary of its inaugural stamp.

Sounds like a great lady.

So what has been happening in my little household?  The lovely girl that cleans for me has found a full time job. I'm very happy for her as it's not easy finding work. And now her cousin has agreed to come and 'do' for me. She's great. 
We noticed there was some water leaking from the fridge onto the floor. We took everything out to try and establish what it was and we discovered that the little hole to collect the condensation was blocked. Problem solved.
But as we already had emptied the fridge she offered to clean it  completely! Fantastic! I always found that a tedious job. 
So I am super pleased!

Then there are the chickens. Tracey and my friend Dian started cleaning out the chicken coup and I finished it this week.
Clean bedding as well.
As well as corn (mais) and chicken feed, I feed them lettuce and apple and whatever scraps I have. (They love asparagus and spinach).

My biggest smile this week without a doubt (and you will read about it in Annie's blog) is the fact that Annie has made me some memory bears. I sent her Graham's favorite outfit. Here he is a few days before he died:


And here are the bears Annie lovingly made:
Aren't they gorgeous? One is for my daughter Tracey and the other one is for myself. He will be allowed to sleep next to me so the space is not so empty. 

That is all from me this week. Of course there will be some funnies at the end. But for now I will sign off and wish you all a wonderful weekend.
Keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca






























10 comments:

  1. Wow. I had NO idea bowling was so big in the Philippines. Good for her. The postcard was nice, too.

    Great that you got another cleaner. There may come a day when I will need one because my back is really killing me. Glad you got your fridge working, too.

    Laughed at how to replace the battery and the last one. The "earth" was not that funny (for me). Have a great rest of Friday and a wonderful weekend. Enjoy your bear, too, dear.





    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Lisca. You've made my bear making even more special today. It's so lovely to see your lovely husband wearing his favourite outfit before I made your bears out of it...Thank you for sharing that photo. I hope your bear gives you a lot of comfort.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Lisca. Annie's little bears are a perfect tribute to your lovely man. Sending love and a hug from Shropshire. x x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting postcard Lisca, and a well researched stamp.

    When my son had chickens he fed them with all sorts of left-overs. They even liked a mild curry or chili. Sadly, even when they invested in a really expensive coup, the urban foxes got the chickens in the end.
    I love your memory bears. Annie did a good job on them. I hope they are a comfort to you and Tracey. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to your comment about cats. My cats don't climb, but my friend Sally's do. It's all in how you train them. Get the kitten a scratching post and make sure s/he uses it if you see it going for the furniture. Just like a dog, you have to train them when they are young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your Friday post-and I loveeee the two little bears-very special hugs Happy Friday and weekend Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't write much. Not feeling well. How wonderful for the teddy bears. Truly wonderful. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photograph and loving the stamp. I don't get the chance now to go Ten Pin Bowling which is a shame as I used to love it and started playing when I was about twelve and carried on right through college and a few years when I started working, guess stuff got in the way after that. You mentioned your surprise at seeing the large Schnauzer. iI is real and is called a Giant Schnauzer. I have met one and I can tell you they are big but very friendly. The plant is called a Pachira Aquatica if that helps. Have a good weekend. Hugs Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just stopped by here Lisca and I want to say those teddy bears are amazing. And they must be wonderful for you because now you can have them and have a bit of Graham near you always. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of memory bears, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete