Tuesday 22 October 2019

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 22 October 2019 - T for a castle and a cross


Hello lovely people,
I have a sneaky feeling this is going to be a long and photo-filled blog post today. There is just so much I'd like to share with you! I have interesting postcards, beautiful stamps and photos from our walk/climb to the castle in Jaen. 

First off is a postcard I received from China. It was sent by Kirilenko, who is a geology student. She says the card shows a recipe of  "shrimp ravioli". 
I think we call them ' shrimp won-tons'. 

The stamps are beautiful. On the left is the 2016 Expo and the two on the right are from the series of Chines filial piety. Now that is a mouth full and I had no idea what that was:

Filial piety is considered a key virtue in Chinese and other East Asian cultures, and it is the main subject of many stories. It  is central to Confucian role ethics.
In more general terms, filial piety means to be good to one's parents; to take care of one's parents; to engage in good conduct not just towards parents but also outside the home so as to bring a good name to one's parents and ancestors; to show love, respect and support; display courtesy; to ensure male heirs, uphold fraternity among brothers; wisely advise one's parents, including dissuading them from moral unrighteousness; display sorrow for their sickness and death; to bury them and carry out sacrifices after their death.

The second card comes from Singapore and pictures the ball room at the old Raffles hotel.
Raffles Hotel is a colonial-style luxury hotel in Singapore. It was established by Armenian hoteliers, the Sarkies Brothers, in 1887. The hotel was named after British statesman Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, the founder of Singapore. 

 It still exists today and has been refurbished this year:
The hotel reopened its doors today (Aug 1, 2019) after a two-year revamp, which saw the 132-year-old grand dame given a fresh coat of paint and new white marble flooring in its interior. The air-conditioning system also underwent an upgrade.
The last restoration done to the hotel was from 1989 to 1991


 And this is what the ball room looks like today.
The stamps are lovely. On the right is the Christmas log and on the left is a man sitting at a table. (No idea what that is all about)
Now, lets have a look at my photos from the walk up to the cross. (see last week).

So, we finally made it all the way to the top, and we found a beautiful castle, which was open to the public. This kind chappie sold us our tickets (1.50 Eur each) and then came out of his booth and explained a few things to us and showed us which way to go first. His English was not very good, so I translated for the other two couples that were there too.
There were several rooms to visit and each had exhibits and/or video presentations about the history. 
 This was the ceiling of one of the rooms.
 The cross that we had seen from below is behind the furthest tower.

 Here we can see it. Fortunately there was a path to the cross.

 And the views were spectacular!
 We actually made it all the way to the cross, but some other people were there at the same time as us, and the platform is only small, so I couldn't take any pictures without capturing the other people as well.
 The path back from the cross took us along the side of the castle.
 Lovely little walkways (in the shade).
That was our day in Jaen.
And as it is T-Day today, I need a qualifier to join the T-Party, hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth. So here I am last Sunday, after church, having a coffee and a Baileys. As you can see, the temperatures here have dropped a bit too and I'm wearing a cardigan.

Well done if you have made it this far. I really appreciate it.
Have a very happy T-Day all!
Hugs,
Lisca

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lisca, so glad you shared your hike and visit to the cross-what an awesome place to discover-and those views are well worth it.
    I enjoyed learning about your cards and stamps-Lovely photo of you-hugs Happy T wishes Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your postcard mail is always fun to see and read about, and the stamps are an added bonus.
    Wow, what an amazing view from the top at the cross!! Loved seeing all the castle grounds too-so much wonderful history.
    Coffee and Baileys- yum! Cheers and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a fantastic surprise for sure. You made a great discovery. It was well worth the climb. That is a beautiful area, and so I am glad you shared that with us for T. Hope yours is happy Lisca. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lisca that castle is beautiful, looks like quite a hike! Made me a little homesick seeing the Spanish countryside
    We love Dim Sum, we always go when we are here in San Francisco and most times we are the only non Asian people there on a Sunday lunch time.
    Happy T day, jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the postcards Lisca, especially the Raffles one. I remember that hotel from a visit to Singapore in the 90s, so exciting, a fabulous place. But my faves today are the pics from the old castle, the lovely pathways and views from the top, just magnificent. You are looking good, too. Happy T Day, Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful stamps indeed! I remember the Expo here in Hannover back then. I went with my late Mum, we had so much fun...
    Iused to do the postcards, too. Hmmm, maybe time to resume the hobby!
    Is this the correct link? https://www.postcrossing.com/
    The lobby looks awesome!
    Nice of that guy to show you around/give directions (and nice of you to help, too).
    You made me laugh with your well done" :-) Happy T-Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely postcards and stamps Lisca. Great photos of the castle. I love old architecture like that. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy you showed us these photos from the castle, the view must have been amazing. Its lucky that you were able to translate for the other folk, I bet the guide was pleased for your help.
    Great postcards, Raffles looks very stylish, it must cost a lot to stay there.
    Happy T day wishes Lisca.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how I would love to walk up to the cross and by the castle! What views! Happy T Day! I added a comment to my blog, but will tell you, I didn't clean the blinds at 5! That is just when I got up. I ate breakfast first, then cleaned my blinds. LOL I would have much rather take the walk you took.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely postcards and postage stamps! I so enjoyed walking with you around the castle and seeing those wonderful views, thank you😀. Sending you Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I'm hungry for Chinese food :) The shrimp won tons look delicious! The views there really are spectacular. How nice that you were able to help with the translating :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those postcards are truly unique. I love the yule log postage stamp. It's amazing how each culture has a different name for the same food, although it may be made slightly differently.

    Your walk to that cross is amazing. In the photo you showed, it looked like it must be over a mile. That was a very lucky trip, though, because I'm sure you weren't expecting the castle. Thanks for taking us with you because this was spectacular, as were the views.

    Your coffee had a real KICK to it when you added the Bailey's. I've actually had it with coffee and it was well masked with the coffee and my cream I use. Thanks for taking us to the cross, showing your latest postcards, and sharing your wonderful coffee with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What are the chances for getting two postcards from the Orient at a time? Or maybe you saved one to share when you had a second. Anyway they're both very interesting. I love shrimp won-tons. The history and pictures of the Raffles Hotel are very interesting.

    What a fabulous adventure you had climbing the hill in Jaen. The castle looks in quite good shape.

    Fun post, Lisca. Great photos too.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely postcard Lisca !! Good to have this delicious recipe. The stamps are also lovely and interesting always. This is a very beautiful hotel, thanks so much for all the information. The views from the cross are fabulous, what a nice church, and you are so kind to translate to the other people. Sure you had a very happy T-day ! Lovely photographs from you at the top of the mountain and having coffee and bailey!
    I wish you a very nice day, and send big hugsss
    Caty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely postcards and what fabulous stamps too! Your walk looks lovely and you know I love a castle whatever state it is in! I'd love a Baileys- haven't had one since I went on medication! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete