Monday 7 September 2015

A Postcard a Day - Monday 7 Sept 2015 Ireland and tatting

Good Morning! It's Monday! 

It's especially on Mondays that I really like being retired. I really feel for my friends who are middle aged but through the change in the law now have to work many years longer than they thought.

Monday with me now means 'map Monday'. I love map cards and today I'm showing you one from Eire (Ireland).
The Cead Mile Failte (sorry there should be accents on those words but I don't know how to do accents on my keyboard) is Gaelic and as far as I know means: One hundred thousands welcomes.

It was sent to me a while ago now by John. He tells me that his partner's elderly mother is an expert lace maker, who has shown samples of her work in Europe. His partner does tatting but he doesn't know what that is. Perhaps you don't either. It is a kind of knotted lace made by hand with a small shuttle, and is used chiefly for trimming.


The stamps are beautiful.
But I have not been able to find any information on them. The left hand stamp is a Christmas edition from 2001. The one on the right is from 2007 but I have no idea what it is celebrating... marriage? And what does the white carnation symbolize?

I'll leave you with that. Have a good Monday. 
See you tomorrow when I link up with T for Tuesday.

Blessings,
Lisca

No comments:

Post a Comment