Friday, 25 September 2026

A Postcard A Day - Friday 25 September 2026 - Friday Smiles and Face Off

 Hello lovely peeps, 

Here we are again at the end of another week. Has it been a good week for you? It has for me as I am on holiday in Poland, in the city of Krakow. More of that later. 

But first a postcard:

Some of you know that I love Steampunk. And if this card doesn't make me smile, I don't know what will. (Big smile!)

It was sent to me (via Postcrossing) by Eugenia, who lives in Nizhniy Novgorod in Russia. She is a fire safety engineer.

The small(er) stamp at the bottom features the Main Fair House of the Nizhny Novgorod Fair, an architectural masterpiece completed in 1890. 


Designed by architects Karl Treiman, Alexander von Gauven, and Nikolai Ivanov, this magnificent building was specifically constructed in the Russian Revival style (also known as the neo-Russian or pseudo-Russian style). It was intentionally built to mimic the ornate, fairy-tale look of 17th-century Russian administrative palaces (terems). It served as the grand administrative and commercial headquarters for what was once the largest and most important annual trade fair in the Russian Empire.
 (I think I got this info from Wikipedia)


Following the Russian Revolution, the Soviet government shut down the fair in 1930, labeling it a "hostile social phenomenon". Most of the fair's 60+ historical trade buildings and streets were demolished to build housing blocks. Miraculously, the Main Fair House survived. Today, it has been fully restored and serves as a premier modern exhibition center hosting the multimedia museum Russia.

The red double stamp at the top represents the Moscow Metropolitan (Underground) , showing carriages from 2024 to 1935 (from left to right).

Now what am I up to? Tuesday and Wednesday night I stayed at my sister's in Marbella. 
Here I am in between my sister and my brother-in-law. (Faces for the FaceOff)

I boarded a flight at Malaga airport and I arrived in Krakow on Thursday afternoon.:
You can just about see the pink plane through the glass. It's an airline called WizzAir and as far as I know it's an Hungarian budget airline. Anyway, it was fine. Very relaxed, on time and a pleasant flight.

I arrived at Katowice airport, which is an hour away from Krakow. That was to avoid a crazy-o'clock early flight direct to Krakow, which would have been the alternative. There are buses from the Katowice airport to Krakow (an hour by road) and I got to Krakow bus station in good time. A short walk to our apartment and then fiddle with entry codes etc but I'm here now and the apartment is very nice.

My friends from the UK are arriving later tonight (I'm writing this on Thursday evening), so I've had the evening to myself. I went out for a meal and had an Indian curry at a place called Indian Flame


I had a prawn mango korma and it was the best I've ever had.

I ate the lot! 



That is all from me today. Of course there will be some funnies at the end.

Enjoy your weekend!
Lisca































No comments: