Hello lovely peeps,
Have you read 'The Secret of the Old Clock' by Carolyn Keene? I haven't, but I have the postcard!
It's a children's book, I think directed to girls. Wikipedia writes:
The Secret of the Old Clock is the first volume in the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories series, written under the pseudonym Carolyn Keene. It was first published on April 28, 1930, and rewritten in 1959 by Harriet Stratemeyer Adams. On January 1, 2026, the original version of the novel entered the public domain in the US.
Nancy Drew is a sixteen-year-old high school graduate (her age was changed to eighteen in the 1959 rewrite). Her father, Carson Drew, is a well-known criminal defense lawyer. The Drews reside in River Heights and employ a housekeeper, Hannah Gruen. In early editions, she is depicted as a mere servant; later in the series, she becomes more of a family member.
The postcard is of the artwork (by Polly Bolian) of the 1959 version of this book , as far as I can tell from the info I have, although some sources have this as the 1966 edition cover.
The postcard comes to me from Jane, who lives in S Suburban, IL. (Which I have found out is southern Chicago.)
The stamp is the beautiful orange gerbera (my favorite) but it is heavily cancelled by the 250 years anniversary stamp:
What has been happening here in Spain? Well, unless you have been living on Mars, you will be aware that there has been a World Championship football(soccer) going on in the USA.
Some of my friends are English, but unfortunately England got knocked out.
I am not the least interested in soccer, but can't help being affected by the enthusiasm, especially since Spain managed to get into the final!
Sunday night was the final with Spain playing against Argentina. My friends and I booked a table in a restaurant to watch the game.
Every bar or restaurant had at least three or four television sets rigged up:
This was at the beginning of the match.
And this later in the evening.
We were inside a nearby restaurant:
My friend Patricia had dressed in Spanish colours (red and yellow). There was a large screen on every wall, but Patricia moved her chair next to her husband so she could watch the biggest screen just behind me.
Many people were wearing football shirts.
The game finished in a draw, but Spain won in the extra time with one goal.
AI can be funny sometimes!
I will 'love you and leave you' as they say with a picture of Ronnie, kindly posing for me here:
4 comments:
This is such a fun post. The card is excellent. I never read the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories. Not sure why. The stamp is really beautiful even with the post mark. I like that even though you are not into soccer you went out with friends to support your country. It looks like a very nice place.
That book sounds interesting (Dad was also a watchmaker). Hihi on the statue! And to Ronnie, have a great T-Day!
I used to love Nancy Drew books when I was younger and I still have this one. I should reread it. And it's so exciting that Spain won. I love how you went out to watch the game with friends. It looks like a fun time, even if you aren't a huge football/soccer fan. I love that statue of LIberty AI. And of course Ronnie too. I hope you're having a super T day and have a great upcoming week too. hugs-Erika
Nancy Drew mysteries were a favourite of mine.
Love the statue. :)
Must have been an exciting night with friends.
Happy T Day!
Post a Comment