Tuesday 16 April 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 16 April 2024 - T for churros, cathedral and reservoirHello lovely gir

 Hello lovely girls,

Here we are again on Tuesday. The week just flies by, especially when I'm busy and enjoying myself. And enjoying myself I am this week as my friend Rhona from the UK is visiting. We have been friends for at least 40 years.  I can't really remember when we actually met. I'm showing her around as she has never been in this area.

Let me first show you my postcard:

It's from North Carolina (obviously). Sent to me by Amy, who lives in Asheville on he eastern side of the state. She is a school librarian.



On the card you can see a cardinal (for you Elizabeth) and the state flower: dogwood. Then the structure on the bottom of the picture reads: Mount Mitchell, highest peak east of the Mississippi river. The little flower is the Venus fly trap. And the ship is battleship North Carolina. The sailing ship is called Elizabeth II. The lighthouse on the right is  Cape Hatteras and top right there is a monument which is the Wright brothers national monument.

I vaguely remember reading about the Wright Brothers so I looked it up in Wikipedia:

Wright Brothers National Memorial, located in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, commemorates the first successful, sustained, powered flights in a heavier-than-air machine.



 From 1900 to 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright came here from Dayton, Ohio, based on information from the U.S. Weather Bureau about the area's steady winds. 



They also valued the privacy provided by this location, which in the early twentieth century was remote from major population centers.


The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse received the famous black and white stripe daymark pattern in 1873. 


The Lighthouse Board assigned each lighthouse a distinctive paint pattern (daymark) and light sequence (nightmark) to allow mariners to recognize it from all others during the day and night as they sailed along the coast.


The stamp is a Forever stamp with the sempervivum succulent on it.


Now let me tell you what I've been up to. As I said, my friend Rhona is staying with me and I have been showing her around. Today (Monday), we went to a town called Guadix, about 47 km away from here and we had 'churros' for breakfast:
Churros is extruded batter, which are then deep fried. We get them warm and crispy on our plate with a cup of thick warm chocolate sauce (left on the photo). 
The idea is to dip the churros in the warm chocolate. Yummy!
The coffee and the chocolate will be my qualifiers for the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard.

Then we walked through the town to the cathedral:
We didn't go in as it was quite expensive to go in.

Rhona also likes windows and doors, but this door was so enormous that she posed in front of it to show how huge it was.
This is a square at the end of which is the town hall. (Palm trees for Elizabeth).

I think I'll leave it at that for today,
Happy T-Day all!

Hugs,
Lisca















5 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Did you know they had to move the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse? With the beach erosion it was getting too close to the edge. I don't know if you read that or not. And it sounds like you're having another fun visit. That architecture is petty stunning, and churros and chocolate sounds like a yummy breakfast. I hope you have a great rest of the week and a very happy T day too. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

We spent a few days in Cape Hatteras a couple of years ago. I loved the lighthouse. So I enjoyed your history of the area. We didn’t have time to visit the Wright Brothers monument because we were flying our drone on the beach at Kitty Hawk — that seemed very appropriate! We’ve seen the Wright Brothers’ bicycle shop, origninally in Ohio, which was dismantled and moved to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. Henry Ford collected American technology-history. I really should send you some local postcards.
Do I have your address?

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Very cool card and infos. We sure can be lucky about people like the Wright Brothers, right.
To adventures that last forever!
But the churros, oh... You could get them at our former Taco Guys and I learned yesterday from a Mexican colleague those tacos were... fake- Glad I never tried the churros!
(The "fake tacos" were yum anyways, and he admitted that :-)...)
Happy T-Day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I want to thank you again for changing to pop=up comments. Less fear of "failed to publish."

One of the things I remember from North Carolina was I went out of my way to visit Elizabeth City. I also got a sew on patch of a foot denoting the Tar Heels. They are VERY proud of their basketball team at the Uni of North Carolina, Chapel Hill! Tes, I LOVE the cardinal, too.

The cathedral is lovely, but sometimes the cost to enter is more than one cares to pay. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the palm trees. I see several different types of palms. too. Thanks for thinking of me.

WOW! The only time we get churros here is at the fair. Food trucks or tented companies make them. They are deep fried and certainly not good for you, but I have never been able to resist them when I saw they were being made. So glad you and Rhona are enjoying ypur time together, too. Thanks for taking us with you to Guadix and sharing your coffee and churros with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.


Violetta said...

Nice postcard of NC.
Oh, the Wright brothers were here to learn flying....since then much has changed...
The churros look good
Have a good time and all the best
Violetta