Tuesday 6 December 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 6 December 2022 - T for sadness

 Hello lovely ladies,

T is for sadness today as I am sad to tell you that my dear hubby died peacefully on the evening of the 29th of November. 

So my postcard today is a bit reflective. I received it in August and it comes from Canada.
The stamp is small but beautiful. It shows the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, N.S. 

Here is a better photo:

Graham's daughter Tracey had arrived on Monday afternoon, when I was at the end of my tether. I hadn't slept in days. So she kept vigil that night and I could have some hours sleep. She also sang for her dad, although he was unconscious at that stage.


 Then on Tuesday evening I sent her to bed, saying that I would stay awake. Graham died ten minutes after she went to bed.

So, I've had a strange and busy few days. His two sons got onto flights and came as well. In Spain the funeral is usually the day after, but we had insurance so that we could extend that to 5 days, to give people from abroad the opportunity to arrive. We had the funeral and cremation on Saturday. 
Tracey is a singer so she and some of our friends would provide the music for the funeral. Here they are practicing at our house:
The funeral was lovely. I had organized translators, so everyone could understand what was being said. Many people wanted to speak. I decided to speak first, in case it all got too much, at least I would have done my bit.
Graham wanted me to play "It's a Beautiful Day" by Freddy Mercury (Queen). So I played the first few lines of that song and explained why it was a 'beautiful day'. (As Christians we believe that our soul has eternal life, so he will live on in whatever it is that people call heaven).
Tracey, hubby's daughter led the worship. In the photo you can also see his son Phil sat on a box. That box is a cajon, which a drum. (Phil is a drummer).

My sister took this picture of me looking at all the flowers:

The crematorium is a modern building, but we had a little hiccough. The bishop wouldn't let us use the chapel for the service because we are not catholic. So we held the service in the foyer which was really light and beautiful. It was full of sofas. Look at this little video:


In Italy I was used to people visiting when someone dies, so the first thing I did on Wednesday morning was bake a cake:
And then... nobody came! Obviously it is not the custom here.

Today is T-Day and I need to show you a drink.
I had cauliflower pasta cheese the other day:

T-Day is hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard. All you need is an image of a drink (hot or cold) or a drink reference. Here is another drink. (Same wine, but I think that was the last glass of the bottle).


Portuguese Vinho Verde. I had it with some grilled swordfish:



That's it from me.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca








18 comments:

  1. Oh Lisca. I am so sorry to read about your news. I just went through my mother's funeral less than a month ago, so I know the sadness, but I do think losing your partner has to be different and perhaps even more sad. You sound a bit like me though, just keeping busy to deal with the events. I hope you keep your strength up during the coming days. I am sure you will find your strength in prayer. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry Lisca, this is so difficult and hard-glad that family could come to be with you. I remember growing up my mothers side were farmers so very rural and they would always serve food at the home of the loved one. Hugs from afar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lisca, I know your heart is broken and filled with saddness. I feel it too. Graham was such a positive force in this world and he will carry that to the next. His beautiful smile will brighten up the heavens. I am very glad to know that you have family there to help through this time. Be sure to reach out to them and your friends. Many blessings, and much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned about it on Friday when Kate mentioned it. Lots of flowers and lots of people remembering Graham.

    Your postcard is quite fitting for today. It is beautiful. As always. your sharing of the postage stamp makes it even more special.

    Tracey was a god-send just when you needed her. Wonderful. I thought Phil was sitting on a speaker. I've never heard of that type drum. I must look it up.

    I am glad to read you are eating so well. You need to eat and keep up your strength, I am glad to see it. Thanks for sharing your postcard, the funeral, Tracey singing to her dad, your meals, and wine with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.



    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry so to hear about your husband. May your memories bring you peace and comfort. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Lisca, I am so sorry to hear of Graham's passing. I know it is more sorrow for us as we are left behind and he is with the Lord but the pain is still awful. I have been praying for you and will continue to pray for comfort and healing of your heart. I am glad that you are surrounded by family. Take care of yourself.
    Hugs,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sincere condolences on your loss. Thank you for inviting us all here. I wish you peace and solace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out for you. I learned it from other bloggers your Graham has passed.
    The song your Hubby chose sure was a very good choice.
    My Brother, too, believes strong into passed ones are somewhere to watch over us and in these stressful times my Mum pops up in my dreams - it must be true.
    Sad no one came to share your cake, but good you have the strength to carry on.
    I wish you more strength, good memories and a future to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss, Lisca, but Graham died surrounded by your love and will live on in your hearts forever. I'm gladx your family was with you for the funeral. Sending love and hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss of your dear husband Graham,Lisca. I hope you keep your strength up and get some rest at this time. Food and baking is always done here too, sorry no one came to enjoy your cake with you. Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deepest condolences on your loss :( I'm glad you have family support during these difficult days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so very sorry for your loss and so moved by the description of the beautiful service. May Graham's memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Lisca, I am so sorry. Graham had such a wonderful smile that you showed us here often. He was surrounded by love - how lovely that his daughter sang for him. I'm also glad that she came out to help you - and that his sons came and so many people said their last good-byes - it looks like a beautiful memorial. This is hard and difficult. May your faith give you strength as well as your family and friends. Hugs to you across the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Lisca, I'm so sorry to hear about Graham! My heart goes out to you and your family ❤️. So lovely to celebrate his life and how lovely to be surrounded by your family, and the service sounds beautiful. Take care and sending you confirming and peaceful wishes this T Day! Big hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know so little about Graham , Lisca... but for me at the Tparty he was the someone with you with a beautiful smile. Someone who would wait to begin eating so you could take a picture and do that good naturedly.. I'am so sorry for your loss Lisca. You are so strong.I'm thankful that Graham's daughter arrived to help you. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lisca. I'm reading your post with tears in my eyes. I have fond memories of Graham and yourself and am sharing your grief at losing such a lovely man. I'm so glad your faith is helping you so much and you have the support of your family and friends over there. I'm sending you lots of love.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Lisca, Like all the other bloggers who have lived through your last year with you, I’m very sorry to hear about your loss. You were brave, devoted, and almost super human in your commitment to care for your husband, and we all admire your dedication and effective actions. I’m thinking of you.

    best… mae

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sending you gentle hugs sweetie thinking of you xxx

    ReplyDelete