Tuesday 27 September 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 27 September 2022 - T for Jane Austen, a ferry trip and Canadian beauty spots

 Hello lovely ladies,

Here we are again on a Tuesday. The week has flown by I must say. Our holiday in England seems a long time ago, but we've only been home a few weeks. 

I will show you some photos later, but first let me show you my postcard for today:

It comes to me from Canada and features an artist's impression of Jane Austen's cottage in England, which is now a museum.
The info on the card reads: "For the last eight years of her life (during which four of her novels were published), Jane Austen, her mother, and her sister lived in a cottage in Hampshire, along the southern coast of England, which is now the Jane Austen House Museum."
On YouTube there is a walkthrough and a bit more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ9CPE21cm8




I must admit I have never visited this charming place. Here is a photo of the side entrance:


Jane Austen's House Museum is a small independent museum in the village of Chawton near Alton in Hampshire. It is a writer's house museum occupying the 17th-century house in which novelist Jane Austen spent the last eight years of her life. The museum has been a Grade I listed building since 1963.



The stamps are pretty and colorful. Shame about the ballpoint cancelation. 


The breezy glamour of pleasure cruising on the world’s largest group of freshwater lakes was the focus of Cruise the Great Lakes (circa 1937), created after the work of British designer Tom Purvis. Companies such as Canadian Pacific offered multi-day outings as a way for vacationers to relax and visit various destinations along their route.



Canada’s Picturesque East Coast (circa 1950) was designed by Saskatchewan-born Peter Ewart, who worked as a poster artist for Canadian Pacific and was also a painter and sculptor. Aimed at drawing tourists to the east coast, it highlighted three seaside destinations: Saint Andrews (also known as St. Andrews by-the-Sea), New Brunswick; Digby, Nova Scotia; and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. Featured on the poster is the original Cape Forchu Lighthouse, which was in service for more than 120 years.
Eye-catching and elegant, travel posters produced by companies such as the Canadian Pacific Railway beckoned visitors to explore Canada’s wild beauty and urban attractions in the early 20th century. The five featured on these stamps recall what was a golden age of commercial art in this country.
Now for some more photos of England. Here is a photo of Salisbury cathedral and the family (daughter wasn't there that day, so only two sons and their families).

Below just an image of the street as we were waiting to meet with the kids.

This is the door to the cathedral area:

The chapter house:

And a double-decker bus:

Another photo of the chapter house:

We have lovely memories of the ferry trip. The flag is the French flag as it is a French ferry company:

Our cabin had four bunks but we only used the lower ones:

A view of Santander from our cabin window:

This vintage car was also in the queue to board the ferry:

One of our meals onboard:

As today I will be joining the lovely ladies of the T-Party organized by Elizabeth and Bleubeard, here is my drink. I had a glass of white wine and hubby had water:

That is all for today from me. Sorry this was a bit long but I hope you enjoyed the photos.

Wishing everyone a lovely T-Day,
Keep smiling,

Hugs,
Lisca









13 comments:

  1. Nice postcards this week Lisca.. I'd like to visit the Jane Austen house. I was reading where it was and I had to read it twice because the town next to where I live in New Hampshire is Alton. I didn't know there was an Alton in England. I also have visited St. Andrews (by the Sea) in Maritime Canada. But I haven't seen those stamps so it was great to see them. What a lovely looking family in England too. I bet your husband was very happy to see them. Did the ferry go from England all the way back to Spain? Have a lovely T day Lisca and week ahead. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos of the English cityscapes and Ferry Boat ride! And thank you for the fascinating comment on my blog, about your experiences in an Italian town in 1971.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pictures and hearing of the trip. Looks like even the trip back was wonderful. The food looks yum too.

    I got side tracked reading about Jane Austen. I have holes in my education and have never read anything by her (watched a few movies). I probably need to fix that.

    Thanks for sharing all this and happy T-day, Lisca. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Lisca, I really enjoyed your post-great photos and pretty stamps. I would have enjoyed touring the Jane Austen home. Food on board looks delicious enjoy your week, hugs from the lake

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a wonderful post. I would love to go to the Jane Austen museum. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm running a little late Lisca!!! Loved seeing Jane Austen's house. And the stamps were colorfully lovely.. I actually rode on a double decker bus in Germany many moons ago.. My daughter and i ( she was about 4) rode one on our way to Holland on a trip.. We rode up top all the way in the front.. Had a huge window to look out of .. Very memorable.. Hubby and i got married in Denmark eons ago and had to take the ferry from Germany to there and the Captain got mad at us for feeding the seagulls bologna ... Because they pooped all over his boat.. LOL! Beautiful vintage car! I could never eat shrimp that still had the heads on... !! LOL ! Take care and Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salisbury doesn't seem to have changed very much since I was last there about 25 years ago. It's a beautiful town I think and I like the cathedral very much. How long does the ferry trip from Santander to England take? Which port did you go to? Portsmouth?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun trip :) Yes, I certainly enjoyed the photos. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing postcard. I learned a lot about Jane Austin and of course, took time to read even more about her. Don't you hate it when the carrier uses a pen (or even worse, a Sharpie) to cancel the stamp? They were beauties, too.

    Looks like you enjoyed yourself on the ferry. That was a lovely antique car, too.

    Nice to see you had time to meet up with your children. Looks like you enjoyed your time together. A chance to visit the Salisbury Cathedral and the Chapter House must have been joyful for all.

    Your meal looked good, but I prefer shrimp that have been cleaned and de-veined. Perrier is the king of bottled water, so I hope it was good. Nice to see your wine, too.

    Thanks for sharing your postcard, your trip to the Chapter House, Cathedral, double decker bus, and your food and drinks on the ferry with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.



    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos from your trip, Lisca.
    The postcard is lovely as well as the stamps. I love reading Jane Austen books and would love to visit her home someday.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did enjoy the photos, thank you. You look great! I also loved the Jane Austen post card and the information about the museum. Why do you suppose they scribbled on those stamps, besides canceling them? Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful stamps. Loved your trip and ferry ride especially you meal with that awesome porthole and ocean view. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lisca, love Jane Austen, I actually have some Jane Austen stamps! It looks really good on the ferry, glad you had a wonderful time and caught up with the family. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete