Tuesday 5 July 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 5 July 2022 - T for airports and planes

 Hello lovely ladies,

It is Monday night again and here I am writing another blogpost. As many people are going on holiday and as many airports here in Europe are terribly short-staffed and chaotic, I thought I'd show you are postcard with a photo of Schiphol Airport (Amsterdam) in the 1930s:


The card was part of a series sold to celebrate 100 years Schiphol, which dates from 1916. Here is a link to an article about its history.

The stamp is interesting:

It's a stamp on a stamp. This particular one was issued to celebrate the stamp exhibition in 1977 called Amphilex. And it depicts a stamp that in its day (1898) was issued to celebrate the inauguration of Wilhelmina a s queen of the Netherlands in 1898. 
Amphilex was a major international stamp exhibition that took place in the Netherlands a total of three times: in 1967, in 1977 and in 2002. 'Amphilex' is an abbreviation of 'AMsterdam PHILatelic EXhibition' (Amsterdam Stamp Exhibition).
In 1977 four stamps of 55 cents appeared, with a surcharge of 45 cents. 

All stamps were designed by Wim Crouwel . All stamps contain several scaled-down reproductions of stamps depicting Queen Wilhelmina .



Wilhelmina was born in 1880, the daughter of King Willem III and his wife Emma, ​​who was more than forty years younger. When she was four years old, Wilhelmina's only living (half)brother, Alexander, died and she became the official heir to the throne. From then on, her upbringing became even stricter. Emma was appointed guardian and regent of Wilhelmina in connection with the advanced age of William III. In 1890 the king died after a short illness. Emma then became Queen Regent and thus the first female head of state in the Netherlands.



Emma of Waldeck and Pyrmont was Queen of the Netherlands and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg as the wife of King-Grand Duke William III. An immensely popular member of the Dutch Royal Family, Queen Emma served as regent for her daughter, Queen Wilhelmina, during the latter's minority from 1890 until 1898. Wikipedia

On August 31, 1898, Wilhelmina turned eighteen and with that she also received the authority to take on the government. The inauguration of Wilhelmina as Queen of the Netherlands took place a week after her eighteenth birthday. On September 5, she arrived in Amsterdam with her mother and made a festive tour through the city. The actual inauguration took place a day later. At the end of the morning, the new queen walked from the Royal Palace on Dam Square, dressed in the famous ermine cloak that her grandfather King Willem II had worn in 1840, to the Nieuwe Kerk for the ceremonial ceremony. Meanwhile the bells tolled and cannon shots rang out.

In the church, Wilhelmina then took the oath to the constitution and read her inauguration speech. This included the conviction that kingship should be regarded as a God-given assignment.

So what have we been up to this week? We have had my cousin and his wife visiting from the Netherlands. (They live in Friesland in the north of the country).


They came in a caravan and stayed on a camp site near us, then came to see us from there. Of course we went out for something to eat. Hubby had had some dental treatment and couldn't eat. So the three of us went to eat pizza locally. Just behind our house they make excellent pizzas, thin and crispy, cooked in a special pizza oven.
I will show the pizzas on Wednesday (Food Wednesday).

The last day of June was also the last day of our senior gym. We all wore the same shirts and had our photo taken. There aren't many this month. People have dropped off for one reason or another.


Then after the (shorter) gym session  we all went out for breakfast. (also locally and a 4 min walk from our house).
I am sitting third from the left.
And the the following Friday we all went out for dinner. Also very close to home (I am so lucky to live near the center of the village):
My main meal was octopus. (Pulpo a la brasa). 


Hubby doesn't like seafood, so when I go out without him I always order something fishy.

And of course I had something chocolaty for dessert. I can't remember what it was called but it had a liquid center and the chocolate just oozed out of the center of the chocolate cake. Delicious!

I suspect you are all hungry by now.
I will be linking with Elizabeth and Bleubeard's T-Party, so here is some coffee in case there aren't any drinks clearly visible. 

Happy T-Day all!
Keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca






10 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Lisca, interesting postcard and history this week and I loved that stamp-interesting how they did that stamp. Sounds like a nice week getting out with family and friends. Foods sound delicious-I look forward to your pizza post on wednesday-how awesome to have a pizza place so close. Loved your coffee pot too Happy T hugs Kathy

nwilliams6 said...

Happy T-day, Lisca. VERY interesting stamp and postcard and history lesson. I love all the pictures of your outtings and the food doe all sound wonderful other than the octopus (I would try it though). Drooling over the chocolate dessert! Many hugz

My name is Erika. said...

You've had a busy week Lisca. And not busy in a bad way either but lots of fun things. Chocolate for dessert sounds perfect to me. I've never had octopus but I would try it. I like squid so I imagine it is similar... And that was really interesting to read about Wilhelmina. I would like to read more about her life and reign. I imagine she married and had children. I hope you have a great T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Your postcards are always very fascinating, as you provide so much background and history of the cards and stamps. I enjoyed your post, and also like thinking about the interesting restaurant meals that you show.

best… ma at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

The group activities sound like fun. It's nice to have options within walking distance. I havea mocha pot like that :) I love your espresso cups. Happy T Tuesday!

Cloudia said...

Such a pleasure to be with you. Thank you! Wishing you wonderful week ahead. Incidentally, in Hawaii when we buy takeout food, one of the implements you can grab is chopsticks and I do enjoy using them even for dessert. Thank you for your wonderful visit Incidentally, in Hawaii when we buy takeout food, one of the implements you can grab is chopsticks and I do enjoy using them even for dessert. Thank you for your wonderful visit

Carola Bartz said...

It is nice to have so many places in walking distance. Your senior gym group seems to be a great crowd that you have fun with - and share delicious food. The chocolate dessert sounds heavenly.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry to say, but I have been MIA due to my internet being offline.

I enjoyed the airport photo and seeing how long KLM has been in business. I also enjoyed reading about Wilhelmina and Emma. Those are lovely stamps, too.

So glad you and your family got to go out to eat. I love pizza, too. Now I am hungry. Of course, you had to make me even hungrier when you showed all those meals you attended. I am NOT fond of octopus. I tried it twice and didn't like it either time. I AM fond of chocolate desserts, though (grin).

Thanks for sharing your postcard, your meals out and that coffee with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.




jinxxxygirl said...

Lisca i love seeing your postcards and the history behind some of them.. I apologize for being so late to the party.. We got called out of town at the last minute to help round up some cattle for a rancher friend of ours.. So here i'am after 10pm.. my time but i made it! All that lovely food and get togethers sounds fantastic! Umm... about the octopus.. ummm... no... you can have that and i'll have the chocolate dessert..lol Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh my! No queues! Another great history lesson! How lovely to get to eat with friends and choose something you love. I've never seen octopus on menus! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx