Friday 20 May 2022

A Postcard A Day - Friday 20 May 2022 - Friday Smiles


Hello lovely ladies, how are you all? My husband and I are finally home after being away in the 'big city' for more than a month! Hubby's treatment is finished and now he has to regain his strength and a bit more weight for an operation at the end of July.

I have lots to smile about and that is the theme of this blog. Please join us at Annie's (A Stitch In Time) and share your smiles from this week.

I have two postcards for you and I hope they will make you smile. They are illustrated by the Finnish illustrator Inge Löök:

The two 'Aunties' have found some bleubells and other flowers and it makes them smile. The card was sent to me from Sarah in Germany. She has drawn a little tortoise on the back.


The stamp is the regular German stamp which features knapweed (or Centaurea). It is a genus of over 700 species of herbaceous thistle-like flowering plants in the family Asteraceae.

I am envious of the cheap postage in Germany. I pay 1,65 Eur for a postcard.

The next card is also very smile-worthy. The 'Aunties' are sitting on a viewpoint, with a picnic basket, blowing bubbles. 



This card was sent by Esa, a retired seaman in Finland.

I love the stamps. The gnome is cute and the ducks are Clangula Hyemalis. The long-tailed duck, formerly known as oldsquaw, is a medium-sized sea duck that breeds in the tundra and taiga regions of the arctic and winters along the northern coastlines of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. It is the only member of its genus Clangula. 

 

Quite a pretty duck, don't you think?

OK, so what have we been up to this week?

Our week has been good. We came back from Granada on Thursday evening, and Friday we just chilled (while I did endless washing). The weather is really nice and sunny, so we wanted the sunscreen over our patio, but the chimney pipe is in the way, so one of the first things hubby had to do was remove the chimney pipe.

Saturday we went to our plot of land, which was totally overgrown! There had been a lot of rain and the weeds were thigh high! Lots of poppies, which was a delight, but we couldnt walk and we could hardly find our young fruit trees! But we did find them and to our surprise there were many little mini cherry beginnings.

On Tuesday our friends came to visit. We hadn't seen them since they drove us into Granada last month. I baked a lemon drizzle cake. Hubby had a piece and didn't have any adverse effects, so he can have some again. (He needs to gain weight).
I needed a new watch and I had ordered one from Amazon over the weekend. I arrived that day and hubby kindly made the bracelet to size.

On Wednesday I planted some seeds strips that I had to grow herbs. Parsley, dill and savory. I hope they germinate. 
I had been gifted a flowering fuchsia before leaving for Granada. It temporarily lived next to the chicken shack so that my friend could water it when she came to feed the chickens. Now it has a place on the wall in the patio. Hubby has put up a bracket. Nice job.


As the lemon drizzle cake went down well with hubby, so on Thursday morning (while he was strimming his plot)  I made muffins with a similar recipe. He loved them!
I have met another Dutch person in our village. She is looking after her elderly mother . We met at the doctor's waiting room and we decided to keep in touch and meet up when things calmed down a bit. So this particular afternoon I met her for a drink. So we got to know each other a bit. The meeting was a success and we will meet again next week. 

That was my week. As per usual, I will put some funnies at the end. Not many this week I'm afraid.

Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca










9 comments:

mamapez5 said...

So pleased you had a good week. Graham must be relieved to manage to eat some more interesting food. I hope he puts some weight back on now.
We seem to have moved from a very wet Spring into full blown Summer almost overnight. Chris is working hard to finish the outside painting before it gets any hotter, or it will be drying on the brush before it gets to the walls.
All those poppies are so beautiful They have all popped up because the soil was tilled last year. They only flourish in soil that has been disturbed. I know you don't really want your plot to become a wild flower garden, but they have a short life so enjoy them while you can.
Kate x

Annie said...

I'm so pleased to hear Graham's treatment is finished and now with all the love and attention you give him hopefully he will gain the weight before he has his op. I love all the poppies but it looks like a lot of work to get your allotment back. I love the funnies...esp the last one lol.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, bet you're both pleased to be back and bet there's plenty to catch up with too. The funnies are brilliant as ever and loving the stamps too....as always. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Mae Travels said...

Lemon drizzle cake always sounds so good -- great to hear that it appeals to your husband. I hope his recovery continues to go well.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Yay for being home safely and well.
The duck looks amazing! And I love poppies. And yay for new friends.
To a wonderfull weekend, hugs.
And thank you for the funnies :-)

Celtic house said...

Morning, so glad you are home for a spell, I can imagine the washer going all day long, we were the same when we came back after a week's break recently. I'm also glad that Graham has found he can eat the lemon cake particularly if he needs to put on some weight. How lovely to meet a new person locally from your home country. I love the hanging basket and those poppies - beautiful

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Greetings, dear Lisca. I have been offline since early Friday morning when a lightening strike took out the transformer in my neighborhood. Great to see you are back home and Graham is doing much better. Those postcards are so funny. I love that you shared both, since Finland is in the news lately. And I always LOVE seeing your reference to postage stamps, too. I know you would NEVER use metered mail and when I get art that is metered, I find it troublesome.

What a nice watch. Glad Graham got the links out.

Your fuchsia is lovely. So glad it survived while you were gone. Here's hoping all stays well with Graham and you have a lovely rest of the weekend, dear.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi, saw your question about the swans, they are the same pair that have been around for about three years. The wooden panel belongs to a friend who has moved to France and we are looking after it for the time being though I would love to keep it. Her sister-In-law is from Thailand so that might be where it came from but it's amazing how it's been made. Have a lovely week. Hugs, Angela xXx

Unknown said...

If you look at the current scenario with regards to the grants for small business expansion, the federal government actually offers no direct grants. There are however, some programs by the government, through which grants for research and development activities that a small business might carry out are provided by the SBA. Then there are indirect grants in the form of small business loan guarantees as well as subsidised loans, wherein you get loans at reduced rate of interest from the bank as the government pays some part of your loan. Or if you default on your loan payment, the government pays the bank on your behalf. As you can see, there are opportunities galore for small business funding and grants through Mr Pedro and his funding company. They offer a loan at 2% rate which is very affordable. As a start-up business owner you just have to make an effort to find the one that is most suitable for your business goals.
Contact Mr Pedro on pedroloanss@gmail.com / Whatsapp text: +1 863 231 0632 for loans.
All the best!