Tuesday 7 December 2021

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 7 December 2021 - T for books!

 Hello lovely ladies, Here we are again ready to join the T-Party, hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard.

Elizabeth had a rather nasty tumble the other day. She fell down 13 steps and hurt her back. I know you don't want pity Elizabeth, but I'm really sorry that you hurt yourself. It's really is even more awful when you know it is your own fault. I bet you were real annoyed with yourself! Hopefully by the time you are reading this, you are feeling a bit better.

Let's have a look at my cards. They are all to do with books. The first is a a quote from Wuthering Heights:

Wuthering Heights is a book by Emily Bronte and the quote reads: 'Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.'
It can be found in Ch. IX, page 5
I have never read Wuthering Heights. Has anybody? I only know it is about a love story between Cathy and Heathcliffe and it features the inhospitable Yorkshire moors. (I get cold just thinking about them).
The stamps are lovely:

The large stamp features Lorelei, which I have already featured in a previous blog. The flower stamp on the right is Wiesenschaumkraut (in German) which translates as scumwort or cuckoo flower.

The second card shows the front page of a Pelican book. 
Pelican Books is a non-fiction imprint of Penguin Books. Founded in 1937, Pelican Books combined important topics with clear prose to create inexpensive paperbacks for a broad audience.
Here is a peek inside the book:

This must be one of my favorite stamps:


Of course it is Queen! (I am a fan).

The next postcard has a quote by Nathaniel Hawthorne:

It is from a book called The House Of The Seven Gables. The House of the Seven Gables is romance by Nathaniel Hawthorne, published in 1851. 


The work, set in mid-19th-century Salem, Mass., is a sombre study in hereditary sin, based on the legend of a curse pronounced on Hawthorne's own family by a woman condemned to death during the infamous Salem witch trials of 1692. The setting for the book was inspired by the Turner-Ingersoll Mansion, a gabled house in Salem, Massachusetts, belonging to Hawthorne's cousin Susanna Ingersoll.

The stamp is a US Forever stamp with an American pink and yellow lotus.
 
It is part of a series called Garden Beauty:
So what have I been up to. The most important day for us was Friday when we went to the hospital to talk to the surgeon, hoping to get a date for hubby's second operation. 
Here we are at the entrance of the hospital. You can tell it's early in the morning by the long shadows. It was cold, you can see the snow on the mountains in the distance (behind the car).
The surgeon was not convinced that the tumor was malignant and ordered a PET scan. So that is sort of good news. He said the biopsy was negative and the blood markers were normal. So no operation just yet.

After the hospital visit we went to a nearby restaurant to have breakfast. We didn't want to sit inside as it was very busy, so we sat outside in the sun.
I look quite cold, but we were well wrapped up and it was actually quite nice in the sun.

I have been making Christmas cards and I have posted most of them. I can't show you the ones I have made as the recipients might read this blog.

Our photo club has organized an exhibition in an old water deposit building. It was restored and turned into an exhibition space. The exhibition was open every evening for a full week. I took a turn to 'man' the place. I was there from 5 to 8 pm. Here is a photo showing the evening sky through the door seen from where I was sitting.

We have been getting little birds at our window, pecking at the window and playing with the cord that pulls the fly screen

down in summer. Yesterday I made some balls with bird feed and lard. I put it in a net that one buys fruit in and hung it up at the window. Now it will be interesting to see if they come and eat from it.

I'm going to link this with Elizabeth's blog if she is able to write one. My cup of coffee that I showed you before should qualify me, but I have a nice image too:
 Translation:
A great day begins with
-a hug
-a smile
-a 'good morning', 
Ahh.. and a coffee!
Have a happy day!

I wish you all a very happy day, a very happy T-Day in fact.
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca











9 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Hi Lisca. I have read Wuthering Heights- twice. Both times were several years back. And I have read The House of Seven Gables, but that one was so long ago I don't really remember it. I went to Salem this past fall and wanted to visit the house, but with covid it is only by appointment and they were all filled up for the day but the time we figured that out. It was fun to see something a little familiar to me on your T day blog this week. And I hope the PET scan results for your husband come back with good news and everything is cancer free so he won't need another surgery. I hope you have a wonderful T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

I haven't read Wuthering Heights but it is on my to-read list. I always loved the movie growing up but it is a bit sad. I have never read anything by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
So happy to hear that your hubby's tumor might be benign. I am guessing he will not need the surgery if it is?
Looking forward to seeing your Christmas cards.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

kathyinozarks said...

I have never read Wuthering Heights but I need to do that, its a classic Sounds like good news for your husband hoping no surgery I always enjoy reading about the history of your postcards and seeing the stamps. I have those flower stamps in my stamp stash-very pretty stamps Happy T Kathy

Iris Flavia said...

AWWW! That stamp!!! The haircuts, LOL. Oh, boy, what a treasure you´ve got there!
I bet Freddie is jumping in... well, he wanted to go to hell cause there are funny people, right? Either way, bet he looks at your post in pride and smiles big.

It´s hard to always hope for the best, scary, but great so far it is and hopefully will be all OK.

Yupp. people here, too sit outside, wrapped up like that - there is no wrong weather, right :-)

Good idea - I should bring out bird food when the day has started.

Have a happy T-day, hugs!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful post Lisca, lovely stamps too. I loved reading books from the Bronte Sisters and Nicholas Hawthorne, and I loved the moors, and spent many holidays there back then! Glad you husband got some good news at the hospital, that's great. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

Nice to see all the others who have read the two classic novels by Brontë and Hawthorn. Similarly, I read them but quite some time ago, and it is fun to see your postcard reminders of them. Good luck with your husband's treatments.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I read your post last night, but before I could leave a comment, I had sat too long, and had to lie down. I laid too long and I couldn't get up. Finally, this morning the pain subsided and I am here. I haven't read anything by the Bronte sister OR Hawthorn that I can remember. Not subjects I would read about unless it was for a class. However, I would LOVE to someday see the moors, since I have read about them and their windswept beauty.

I am delighted your husband got good news about his surgery. I hope things are looking up for him.

Yes, Lisca, unless I'm on my deathbed, I will be here for T Tuesday. Glad to see you are working on cards. I haven't started mine, yet.

Looks like you gave us two wonderful drink references this week, so thanks for sharing your postcards, the stamps, the good surgery news, and the drinks with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

DVArtist said...

First great new about your husband. Bronte, Hawthorn, Queen how can one go wrong with that. LOL I don't like being cold either. Have a wonderful day today.

Empire of the Cat said...

Good news about your husband! Lovely postcards and stamps, love the Bronte one since I'm quite a fan. Love the photo with that pink sky peeking through the open door. I hope the birds come and eat your fat balls Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx