Tuesday 19 May 2020

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 19 May 2020 - T for Braunschweig, Harlem, Munich,Rotterdam and Cabo de Gata

Good morning lovely ladies,
Today is Tuesday: T for Tuesday, and we are invited to join Elizabeth and Bleubeard for the T-Party with a beverage.
I am inviting all of you for a cup of coffee. (The translation says: a coffee for each of you... good morning)



My first postcard comes from Germany. Guess from where....Braunschweig! It is where Iris Flavia lives! I'm not going to tell you much about the town, I'll leave that to Iris.

The card was sent to me by Sabine, who is a dental assistent. 
The stamp is very nice. I hadn't seen this one yet.
 It features the Marienplatz underground station.
Here are some photos of the station:

Above ground the Marienplatz looks very different. Wikipedia writes: Marienplatz (en: Mary's Square, i.e. St. Mary, Our Lady's Square) is a central square in the city centre of MunichGermany. It has been the city's main square since 1158.
Marienplatz was named after the Mariensäule, a Marian column erected in its centre in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation. Today the Marienplatz is dominated by the New City Hall (Neues Rathaus)

 on the north side, and the Old City Hall (Altes Rathaus, a reconstructed gothic council hall with a ballroom and tower)

 on the east side.

Now for my second card. It comes to me from the USA. It is entitled Harlem, the 30s. The photographer is Aaron Siskind who is an American born in 1923 and died in 1991.



Siskind was known for his abstract photography. Here is an example I found on the Internet:
But he made a photobook called Harlem Document, and my postcard is taken from that collection.

One of my blog friends, Bridget Larsen, a crafter who lives in Australia has asked me about our vegetable garden. I promised I would post some photos.
Here are broad beans on one side and peas (flowering) on the other.
 The middle bit has been sewn with chili peppers, fennel and coriander (cilantro). Nothing has come up yet as you can see.
 This is a home made composter made with pallets cut to size. The brick on top is to prevent the cats from getting in there.
 Here is some spinach.
 On the right is a row of garlic. Hubby didn't want me to show this photo as he hadn't weeded yet. It looks a lot neater now. 
Bridget writes about her gardening, her crafting and about all sorts of interesting things. Do visit her: Bridget Larsen.


I would now like to show you some urban art in my home town of Rotterdam (Netherlands):
Street art van Ian Kirk Patrick nabij de Kruiskade. 
Street art van I Am Eelco in de Bloemkwekersstraat.
Werk van Daan Botlek aan de Schiedamse Vest.
Calypso Falls van Monique Benthin en Rick Messemaker aan de Mauritsplaats.

I must say that I did not take any of the Rotterdam streetart photos. 
But here is a photo that I did take in the Cabo de Gata area of southern Spain. I am a member of the local photoclub and every month we have a theme and we are allowed to enter one photo, which gets judged (anonymously) by an out of town team of judges. This month the theme was 'Sea', but we have been in lockdown, and no one has been able to go to the sea. So we have been entering archive photos. This is mine. It was a lovely November day (18 Nov 2016) in a little hamlet called La Isleta del Moro on the Cabo de Gata coast. We were eating at a restaurant right by the 'beach' and this cat was lying by my chair, no doubt waiting for some scraps. 
This is what the restaurant (the building nearest to the water) looks like from a distance:

And on that note.... I'll leave you all to dream of summer....

Happy T-Day all,
Hugs,
Lisca

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lisca, very interesting post-I always learn new things from your posts. enjoyed the history of the postcards, loved seeing your garden-I kinda miss my veggie garden, but I think we will be bringing our two large raised beds from the woods house to here-so that will be good for a few things.
    enjoyed the street art and wow awesome views for the restaurant on the beach. we are to warm up by the weekend-which will be nice Happy T wishes Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love learning about your postcards- history and such Lisca- thank you. I was in Munich many years ago...
    Your garden is looking fantastic!
    Street art is pretty impressive isn't it - no matter where it is. And yes, sweet dreams of the seaside... happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some lovely postcards. I love the one from Siskind, his photography is always amazing. Your garden is looking great, yummy veggies! Rotterdam's street art is amazing, love it! And I would so like to visit the sea again! Happ T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you got both Henries, the Lion and the Duke!
    Not the prettiest card, though. If you give me your address to flaviakaiser@gmx.de, I´ll send you another - just a suggestion.
    Most parts of Braunschweig were bombed to total destruction in WW II, hence so many ugly building, they needed housing quick.
    We´re lucky and live in a quarter that was spent. Which sadly also means high ceilings and heating that is no fun. You can´t have it all!
    Oh, Munich. I got stuck on the airport ages ago. Not the best memory ;-)
    Love the second card - and wow, your garden - and the art! You have me ohhhh-ing, that coast-picture with the ginger, so cute.
    Yes, summer... 13C here. TEA! Happy T-day to you and hugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super postcards Lisca and I also like the notes you add about the history and area. they come from. Your garden looks super and those veggies you are growing sound like you will be having a delicious crop to use in the coming weeks.
    Stay safe.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get over your veggie garden. Talk about summer. We just rototilled mine and nothing is planted yet. Nights are still a bit chilly but hopefully by next week, maybe? And the street art from Rotterdam is very colorful and I like that. And I think Spain would be a great place to visit. I have been to Barcelona but your photos always show some other beautiful places. Hope you have a great T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely postcards and stamps. Your vegetable garden looks good. Nice assortment of photos. I especially like the one with the cat. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely postcards. Yes, Iris is filled with a wealth of knowledge about where she lives. She loves her lions, too.

    The Harlem postcard is so sad. It shows how REAL people lived then and probably now, too. It was beautiful in its own way, though.

    Gosh, you have a LARGE plot, Lisca. Do you have to pay for your allotment and if so, to whom? I've always been curious about those allotments that are SO big (not in size, but in popularity) in England, where land is at a premium. Don't fret. Your cilantro/coriander will grow over time, but I've only ever planted mine in pots.

    That white coffee in the back is what I would like, please. It's the way I drink my coffee. Thanks for sharing your postcards, the darling stamps, your allotment, and this choice of coffees with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving your photos of the sea as they are SO picturesque! Looks exactly like a place that I would love to visit with hubby some day.
    Your hubby's garden is so large and full of yummy greens! I bet you table is full during the growing season. Or is your growing season year round? I am not up on my geography and the climate of Spain. Dry and hot is what I picture but I don't know.
    I enjoyed seeing the photos of Rotterdam and the street art. It certainly puts a modern feel to a lovely old city.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely garden! You have a good space for it, and y'all have laid it out beautifully :) Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous postcards! I love the underground station - amazing 😁. So nice to have homegrown veggies, they always taste so much nicer! Happy T Day wishes! Take care! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting postcards, Lisca. The undergrounnd station in Marienplatz is very impressive. So is your garden!

    Lovely photo of the Cabo de Gata coast. Don't forget to let us know how well the judges like it.

    Happy T-Day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful postcards Lisca ! Love this station. Your garden is awesome, everything is growing well ! that´s fantastic.
    Lovely murals of your city, very veautiful. I wish you spent a nice T-day !. Yes those photographs of the restaurant in la Isleta del moro are fabulous. Cabo de Gata is a very nice place to stay and visit. San José too.
    I wish you a very nice afternoon, stay safe and
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we are all dreaming of what Sumer should be like - I love your photo with the patient cat! Your garden is looking good, you will have lots to eat! Your post cards are very different! I love seeing the modern underground with the contrast of those fabulous buildings too! Rotterdam looks an interesting place to visit - maybe one day we will see for ourselves! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have your blog through postcrossing articles and I like your posts. You are very interesting. In this post, I particularly like the pictures of your garden.

    All the best

    Lenchen ♥

    ReplyDelete