Friday 29 May 2020

A Postcard A Day - Friday 29 May 2020 - Friday Smiles

Hello lovely girls, Here we are again on Friday. Time goes so fast, I can't believe it!

I'm going to show you what made me smile this week and tell you what I have been up to. 

First off two lovely postcards:
This first one is from Germany and show a pretty log cabin with a window box full of colourful geraniums. That makes me smile.

The second card comes from Slovenia. If you haven't eaten yet, look away now as your mouth will start watering when you see this: Smoked trout on buckwheat grains. 
It was sent to me by Janet, who lives in Radovljica on Lake Bled, a lovely old town with a bee museum.
The stamp also has a food theme. 

Šelinka from the Karst Region

The Karst region, usually thought of as having quite a poor traditional cuisine, is the home of a hotpot called šelínka, the main ingredient of which is aromatic celery, which in the Karst is known as šelín. This dish is made from the leaves and roots of celery, together with a piece of pork (or ham, sausage or bacon). Some people like to add potatoes, rice or beans. As a hotpot, šelínka was an everyday dish, but the roots and leaves of celery were also used to make a salad, or the roots were fried (ocvrt šelín). Celery could also be grated into thin slices (šelín na ubelč) and served with a potato salad. This method of preparing celery was particularly popular as a side dish for a Christmas or New Year’s dinner. Various types of celery hotpots go very well with buckwheat polenta.

So what have I done this week? Friday, apart from reading your blogs I went to the post office to collect a parcel, I made a pineapple upside down cake and we enjoyed the first visit from our friends for months.
Saturday was a potter day, but my highlight was discovering my chili peppers had germinated! It had taken exactly a month. 
On Sunday I finished my jigsaw. Hurray!
On Tuesday I popped in at my friend Antonia's. She cares for her sister who has Down's syndrome. It was difficult to keep said sister from hugging and kissing me. She cannot understand why we can't cuddle like we normally do. What a shame.
On Wednesday we decided to drive to our second home, where we normally go once a week. We hadn't been since February, so we wanted to collect mail and make sure everything was OK. There were weeds thigh high! Hubby did a bit of hacking at the weeds, but wasn't really dressed to do messy work. We'll do more next week.
Yesterday my friend Antonia's husband brought us a bag of wood chip mulch. (He is a carpenter and it is the sort of stuff he throws away). I took a 'close-up' of the top of the bag, as he had tied the bag with a strong type of grass.

Of course I have some funnies/puns for you at the end. If I have shown you them before, then I apologise. 

This coming Sunday is a special Sunday for us as it is Pentecost. (remembering when believers received the Holy Spirit for the first time).

Now I'm off to Annie at A Stitch In Time and to Virginia at Rocking Your week Friday.

Have a lovely weekend all,
Stay safe and keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca















7 comments:

  1. Lisca! :-)
    I haven´t eaten yet, but .. trout, "eww". No fish-person, if fish it has to be tasteless white ones.
    Hubby loves pineapple, too.
    Yes. We relate too much on China. Hubby´s handcream is out, not available due to that.
    Very sad, it must be a pain to want to cuddle and not understand why the other does not "want" to. Sad.
    A second home, wow! Very cool! Nice friend you have there, no waste.
    Yes, Pentecost! Celebration over here :-)

    Soap opera!!! :-) And the frog! There is a Simpsons-episode on toads even, did you know?
    Thank you for the laughs, hugs, Iris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love cooking and eating fresh trout...until I was pregnant with our first....I've not done it since! Funny how we change during pregnancy isn't it? Down's syndrome and well known for their affectionate natures so it must be very confusing for her...I'm desperatly missing my hugs too.
    I love your funnies and don't think I'd seen any of them before :-)
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisca. The dish with the celery sounds interesting. I don't think we use it enough. I like to put celery in stews and Bolognese and that kind of thing but I know most people only use it in salads. Pineapple Upside-down cake used to be one of my favourites to make at school probably because it's in the BeRo cookery book which was always to hand. It looks like you've both been busy, lots to do. Plenty of smiles too. Have a lovely weekend, you both deserve a rest. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post Lisca !! Those postcards are beautiful, this meal looks delicious. You have been very busy these days, I especially love the flowers you bought. Hope you spent a lovely T-day ! Congrats for finishing your jigsaw !! ♫ ♪ ♫. So funny your smiles.
    that´s great to visit friends, and your second home is fabulous. Enjoy your weekend, stay safe, and
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisca, I love all the funnies, I like the postcards, the food looks delicious and I love smoked trout, pretty log cabin too with the geraniums.
    You VE had a busy week, isn’t it lovely to escape,ha,ha, it makes you feel normal even if we have to still be careful. At least we have the good weather now.
    Have a great weekend,j Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was late linking at Annie's this week and have not been able to catch up. Sorry I'm late visiting you, too.

    Love the postcards, but the one didn't make me hungry. The pineapple upside down cake did, though.

    Looks like you had a good week and getting that puzzle finished must have been good, too.

    I've not seen those funnies before, so I actually enjoyed all of them, especially the I got fired. Have a super rest of whatever is left of your weekend, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a busy week, I'm so glad that you got chance to visit friends, how lovely, I can appreciate how difficult it is for people who normally hug not to hug, we saw the same thing when we had our VE day picnic on the front when a friend's friend popped to see them, her 5 year old literally had no idea and kept wanting to hug, it is so difficult if you are a huggy person.

    I love your collages well done to your hubby completing that room, it looks awesome. I've not made pineapple upside down cake since I was at school, that definitely brought back some memories.

    I hope you have a fabulous weekend and week ahead and sending you much love at Pentecost

    ReplyDelete