Friday 20 March 2020

A Postcard A Day - Friday 20 March 2020 - Friday Smiles


Hello lovely ladies! 
How are you all bearing up under the safety measures? We have been under house arrest since Monday. Nobody is allowed out, only to do food shopping, and even then you get stopped by the police. 

But I did receive some lovely postcards. Look at these little Native American cuties! It was sent to me from the USA by Paula, who tells me they hold yearly Native American Festivals where she lives.

 The stamps are gorgeous. Some red pears and the lunar New Year image.
The second card is one of those vintage travel posters, that I like so much.  This one is from the series Posters From The British Empire 1926-1933, Mautitius, Sugar, Rum. Designed by Keith Henderson. 
 I like it very much. 
The card was sent to me by Mike, who lives in northeastern Texas with his wife. They have been married for 39 years and Mike hopes to retire at the end of this month, but is not sure how he will occupy his time.
The stamps are fun. The Muppets figures are fun, and grapes can lead to fun (If you make wine).

How has my week been? Like most European countries we are in total lockdown. We have house arrest and are only allowed to go to a food shop. I sent hubby to get some bread at the baker the other day and he came back with lots of bread but also with some enormous donuts and some cream pastry!

So we had to eat them unfortunately, lol. They are not very nice when they're stale. (They go stale soon as the baker makes them without chemicals to keep them fresh)

I did some scrapbooking. This is one from earlier in the week. Did I show you that one already? I can't remember, but they are the almond blossoms.
This was my desk yesterday (Thursday).

The weather has not been good. Very overcast and a bit of rain too. (Hence the washing drying indoors, a very rare occurrence here)
 On Wednesday we went shopping together. The streets were deserted. Very eerie. Those people that we did see were all wearing masks.
 I popped into the post office to empty my postbox. Hubby waited outside, but got told off by a police man for loitering. You have to go home, he said. Luckily that was when I came out of the post office, so we could actually go home.

 Hubby is working on the ceiling of the cave house next door, which has had water damage (This happened years ago, but it takes that long to dry out). He is making arched ceilings, so that they won't collapse again. It does mean that I don't have to worry about a man with nothing to do. He loves the work he does and he can please himself as to how much (or how little) he does.
I made butternut squash risotto yesterday, and I bake cakes.I keep in contact with my friends via Whatsapp or Messenger. Staying indoors is not so much hardship for us really. 

Thank God for Internet is all I can say! The Met is streaming famous operas for free. (As is the Paris opera) A different one every day. On Wednesday I watched La Bohème. A lot of museums around the world are offering free virtual tours.  Amazing! Here is a link to 6 Italian museums, just to get you started. And here are some more museums with free virtual tours
.
Here is another website that has links to lots more free stuff and resources. I know the UK has no house arrest yet, but that will come soon.
My daughter-in-law, who has a food blog called GourmetMum, is preparing daily 'cooking-with-children' videos to keep children entertained and teach them that cooking is fun at the same time. 

That is it from me tonight. I will have some (very cheesy) Covid virus funnies, which you have probably have seen already. 

I will go and join Annie at A Stitch In Time and Virginia at Celtic House to share today's silver linings.

Before I go:

Have a lovely weekend whatever you are doing. Stay safe and stay healthy. Stay positive above all!

Hugs,
Lisca













 Is this how the virus enters our country?


Working from home:

 After going round 6 supermarkets that were sold out of toilet rolls you finally found a large pack....


8 comments:

  1. Gosh Lisca, you got two lovely postcards this week, even if it did almost get your husband thrown in jail (grin). Gosh, I would love your husband to bring these incredible pastries to my door. Yesterday at the grocery store, there was NO bread, no potatoes, and a limit on soup, eggs, and milk.

    Nice daily scrapbook page, too. Your desk hasn't changed much since Tuesday, though.

    I really enjoyed a couple of the funnies. Some hit pretty close to home, though. I'm also staying home, although my state hasn't put us on lock down yet. Take care and stay safe, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No such crazy here yet.

    Beautiful stamps!
    :-) In the movie Elmo in Grouchland Ernie says, "have you ever seen a movie with a bad ending?". Bert: "Titanic."

    Here it´s more casual. We manage. Hubby is coughing his head off, but it´s the time of the year (I hope).
    Great one about teaching kids!

    Ewww.. Am I glad I got toilet paper, LOL!
    "Click". Yes.

    Stay safe, hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your stamps and cards but then I always do! The donuts look scrummy, I don't think calories count at the moment, we all deserve a little something to brighten the day. Obviously the weather has decided that it's not worth bringing the sun out where you are as everyone is staying indoors! It's interesting that they are closing the schools (supposedly) here in the UK but the children of Key workers can still attend now they seem to have realised that more than three quarters of the workforce are Key workers! Take care and have a nice weekend, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fab cards this week Lisca. I'm sure many others struggle a lot more than us crafters when they have to stay indoors...I can find plenty of 'if only I had the time crafts' to do now I've got the time. I'm sure we just have to be sensible and this will all return to normality soon....well I certainly hope so.
    I've seen lots of the funnies but some are new to me....thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cards this week Lisca, and such pretty stamps again.
    You are lucky to be able to walk to the shops together. We are only allowed out singly, even in the car. It does seem strange to have such quiet, empty streets, but I am glad we all know where we stand.
    Every week when I see your posts I think I really will do some more scrapbook pages, but I never do. perhaps the extra free time will be what I need to get started.
    Keep busy again this week. I am sure you will. Al the best. Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cards and the funnies Lisca! Stay safe and healthy my friend!
    Big hugs,
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's the last time we were at the Eisenhower Museum:

    https://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2020/03/friday-smiles-361-im-back.html

    Actually, it looks like you didn't leave a comment, so maybe you missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah bless we arent' quite at house arrest yet but we are d;efinitely getting there, I'm sure you will manage to keep yourself busy as a fellow crafter; I've got stuff to last me several years, although I do worry this will carry on beyond the 517 photos I had printed recently, I've already made a dent on them.

    I love your hubbies purchases from the bakery - now that's my kind of coffee break.

    stay safe

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete