Tuesday 9 July 2019

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 9 July 2019 - T for Taiwan, tea and theater

Hello lovely ladies,
Are you all ready to join the T-Party, hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard at AlteredBookLover? Let the fun begin!

First off are my postcards. I received another card from Taiwan. That is a country where Postcrossing is very popular. This one has as title:"A new mapp ofy empire 1669"


Taiwan (or Formosa as it was called) is seen as a yellow fish shaped island in the middle of the red line (the tropic of Cancer). 
The caption at the bottom reads:
"A New Map of y Empire of Formosa
With its several provinces or kingdomes
Together with the adjacent isles of Japon or Niphon."
It seems that the cartographer thought that China was part of Taiwan. I have tried to find info to that effect but have not found anything to support this assumption. 
The stamps are pretty and have trees on them. 


 On the left is the Ardisia Squamulosa, a medicinal plant, possibly endemic in and rather common throughout the Philippines (but obviously in Taiwan too). The flowers and fruits are cooked as a flavouring with fish. The leaves are used to soothe and heal wounds. The stamp on the right probably shows mandarins oranges.
My next card comes from Germany and shows a painting by Bernardo Bellotto, better known as Canaletto. 
It shows the view of Warsaw from the side of Praga suburb in 1770.

On Thursday night hubby and I and two of our friends went to the theater in the nearby town of Baza. We'd never been there before so that was a real treat. 
After we had parked we walked down the street to find horse riders in the street. We see this quite often as Andalucia is well known for its horses. 



The theater is called Teatro Dengra. It is the white building in the middle of the photo. 
The table and chairs belong to the bar on the left and indeed we went for a drink afterwards.
We went in through the big doors at the front and then found ourselves in this beautiful courtyard.

 We could choose our seats (on a first come basis). Our friends wanted to sit upstairs on the balcony, so that is where we went.

The chandelier was gorgeous, but the photo doesn't do it justice.
 We had a good view of the stage.
 We came to see a performance of Gospel Sounds, a gospel choir from Granada. They were very good and we really enjoyed the show.

 Now for my drink related qualifier to the T-Party:
No, no wine this time. You might well think that all we do is drink wine. But actually, we drink a lot of tea and infusions. This is a new one I bought only the other day. Our European friends will notice that the brand is Lord Nelson, which is Lidl.
 It has apple, orange skin, lemon verbena, rooibos, ginger, cinnamon, orange aroma, red pepper, and cardamon.
And this is what it looks like:
And it tastes very nice. Not at all too gingery as i don't like ginger.

That's it from me this week.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

12 comments:

  1. Love the stamps form the Taiwan postcard! That concert must have been so beautiful in that theater. And that tea does sound really nice. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love today's postcards! They knew how to make maps as works of art! That theater is stunning, and it would certainly be a treat to see a show there. And what a lovely courtyard :)

    Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks like you had a fabulous evening out. I haven't been to the theatre in a long long time. Glad you shared this with us for T day. Hope you have a good one. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Taiwan/Formosa postcard is beautiful. The cartography is a work of art, regardless how accurate it is. The stamps are beautiful, too. I also believe those are mandarin oranges.

    Goodness, that is SOME beautiful painting of Warsaw from the person who sent it from Germany. I was in awe.

    Your trip to Baza was fun to see. It's amazing horses are allowed on the streets. They are beautiful horses, though.

    What an amazing courtyard on the way to the theater. I'm sure you were as surprised as I was because the outside doesn't give anything away. It's a lovely theater too. It sounds like you had a good time and got to see a great theater performance, too.

    Your tea looks lovely, and I was in love with how it was packaged. Thanks for sharing your postcards, your trip to the theater in Baza, and your tea with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an impressive theater,gorgeous! Great postcards , always something to learn with your postcrossing! The tea sounds delicious to me, I am confused about it's name.What a
    confusing mix of words and grammatically no go. Bienestar ??? Confusing.... that comes for sure from a bad translator machine , lol and no one at " german brand " Lidl noticed ? Or maybe they did and therefore it is available in Spain....lol. Happy T-Day dear Lisca, Susi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The theatre you visited looks very beautiful, glad you were able to enjoy an evening there. The postcards are lovely, I especially love the one from Canaletto. Lidl always has a good selection of teas and coffees, your tea looks good. Happy T Day and have a fun week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful postcards and postage stamps! It looks like you had a wonderful time at the theatre with your friends and I loved seeing the horses and all the architecture - amazing 😁. Wishing you a Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great postcards and stamps. I love vintage maps. Beautiful horses. That theatre is beautiful inside and out. Great architecture and wonderful courtyard. The inside is fantastic. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting tid bit about Taiwan. Your description made it very easy for me to pick out on that lovely postcard. There is something very wonderful about an old map. I would love to have them all over my house.
    And what a stunning view of Warsaw. I have never been there but this piece of art certainly makes it enticing.
    What a gorgeous building, the theater. But the courtyard is what stands out to me. I have always enjoyed that aspect of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean architecture. I LOVE that they make courtyards a central focal point in their designs. Something that sadly we don't have here in the states, mainly due to our harsh climate. The house of my dreams would surely have a lovely tiled courtyard.
    Sounds like a wonderful performance. We had a children's choir from somewhere in Africa visit our area a while ago and they were wonderful and full of energy! Such an uplifting performance.
    Your tea sounds delicious with so much spice! Cardamon is one of my favorites! But paired with the cinnamon, apple and orange...YUM! I bet that red pepper does wonders for sinuses.
    Happy Tea Day, Lisca!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't be too impressed, Lisca. I looked this up because I was sure that Taiwan had once been part of China. According to Wikipedia, Taiwan was held by Chinese dynasties from 1662 to 1895, when Japan took control. The date on the map looks like 1669 to me, so that would fit. I love old maps like this and the tales they tell.

    Thank you for your lengthy comment about Spanish pronunciation. Of course there are differences among Spanish, Castilian and Mexican Spanish. After 22 years in Mexico, I still have trouble rolling my Rs. Some words are easy, like burro or an R at the beginning of a word. I'm sure I couldn't get my tongue around Merce! You're correct that Sadie is not a Spanish name. Sadie is our dog - lol. My nephew Rafa's sister is mi tocaya. Her name is Fatima Aylin - that's Eileen spelled the Mexican way - very phonetic.

    What a beautiful - almost cozy - theater. It looks like everyone would have a good seat. I would have enjoyed that concert.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those postage stamps are beautiful. Sometimes I get more excited about the stamps than the card...sad but true. LOL
    What a cool theatre.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love old maps and postage stamps for sure! and i enjoyed the photos of the theatre. have a nice week, lisca

    ReplyDelete