Friday 14 December 2018

A Postcard A Day - Friday 14 Dec 2018 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely people!

Another week has gone by and we are a little closer to our trip to Holland. I have now got to the empty-suitcase-on-top-of-the-bed stage and have started a 'don't-forget' list. 

I have not received any mail this week. (Is the postman on holiday?) That is strange as it is my hubby's birthday today and we were expecting at least a few birthday cards. So the cards I am showing you today are cards that i have sent through Postcrossing.
The first one is for a girl in Germany who likes (and collects) images of flying pigs. Well, I have no cards of flying pigs but this Piglet looks like he is flying so that will have to do. And it's a bit chrismassy too.

This card is going to France to a Postcrossing member who asked for Christmas cards. He mentioned that he was a Christian believer so I felt I could send him a card with a Christian message. My friend Rhona Marshall MBE is involved in an orfanage in Kamuli, Uganda called Maria's Care. I bought some cards off her a few years ago and I had one left. The children on the card are children from the orphanage. 
Our post mistress now has new stamps in regularly and this is one of the new ones I got. It features a bridge in Cantabria (in the north of Spain) called Puente de la Maza. The white bit where the bridge should be is cut out so I had to be extra careful not to rip the stamp as it was only held together by the flimsy side strips.

So, what have I been doing this week that made me smile?  As I am in the process of packing my case and sorting out clothes so that everything can get washed, I found these booties with a fur rim. I hardly wore them as I have to wear my trousers inside the boot because of the fur. And somehow they made me look even shorter than I already am! I was just about to throw them out (Sorry, Elisabeth will have a fit when she reads this) when I had an idea to recycle them (OK Elisabeth, you can breathe again). With a stitch cutter I carefully removed the fur, and the result is an almost new pair of boots! Big smile!
The other day, when my hubby and I were walking home through the village, we walked past the 'traiteur'. I don't know the English word. It is a shop that sells meals. If you don't want to cook, you get a meal there. (In this part of Spain, you can't buy ready-meals in the supermarket). Our traiteur is called Inma. She does catering but also has this shop. The meals are different every day. 
 We walked past her window and saw all the yummy things on display. So we went in and bought something we would not normally cook at home.

Yes, caracoles! Snails! These are little ones cooked in a spicy sauce.
They are not like the French escargots, but much smaller. I love them. You often get them as tapas, but most English don't like them. 


On the walk home we also came past the municipal Christmas tree. I don't know if the gate around it is to prevent dogs peeing on the lights or what...

We've had some really lovely weather until today (today is raining), so we have had our meals on the terrace. This is the little table we use and we sit in the sun and enjoy the meal, the view and the sun. Life is good.

And of course, we have had some spectacular sunsets. (No Valerie, I don't do sun rises)

That was my week. I'm going to link up with Virginia at Rocking Your Week Friday. And of course, as per usual, I am sharing some funnies at the end.

Have a lovely weekend, and a very good week ahead. 
And don't get too stressed with your Christmas preparations.

Hugs,
Lisca


6 comments:

  1. LOVE those postcards. That bridge stamp is very, very unusual. Nothing so grand, here.

    I didn't faint when you were about to get rid of your boots, but thought your recycle job was simply perfect. Yay.

    I love all the funnies. Boy can I relate to those Christmas lights. But my favorite was the cat tree. Now both Bleubeard and Squiggles are going to want one of their own.

    Have a wonderful weekend and a lovely Friday, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah what a lovely post, I hope you have a flurry of post today including some birthday greetings for your husband!

    I hate packing to go away and often leave it literally until the last minute, its a good job it is normally just in this country that we venture!

    The shop looks really interesting, although i don't know if I would enjoy the dish with the snails, as you said it isn't something us Brits are used to!

    The Christmas tree all lit is lovely, what a shame about the fencing around the bottom it takes the edge off a little doesn't it!

    Meals on the terrace sound lovely, but we are close to freezing temperatures this weekend so whilst our deck at the back looks inviting, once you step outside you realise just how cold it is!

    I hope you have a fabulous weekend and week ahead.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Loving your funnies this week. The cat tree is brilliant and the poor dog, he looks very sad. I have eaten snails several times and quite like them but the last ones we had were a bit tough and that kind of put me off a bit.The boots look great too. Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,
    Must be exciting to be going to Holland soon, I’d be getting ready andnepty suitcase and list a good start. I did a Smiles post too and yes, no Annie . Do hope all is well I’m guessing the bears have kidnapped her time as she was very busy in her WOYWW post
    The food is interesting but think I would skip it. Love the funnies,
    Shaz in OzX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisca-what a fun filled post I love your postcards-the pig had me laughing lol that is awesome to be able to get new postage stamps-my little post office rarely has anything new so I buy online now from the postal store.
    I kinda like the fact your country does not sell those awful prepared foods-here in the states most are so unhealthy. so that was a nice treat for you to pick up a dish from a caterer.
    that was great that you were able to take the fur off your boots-great recycle.
    Loved the photos and the funnies-were very fun. They probably had the gate around the christmas tree to prevent people from touching and getting too close--hugs Happy weekend Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday Lisca. So I am curious about those little snails. Can you eat the shells or must you take the meat out of each one? Snails are not common food here in the US so I don't know the answer to that. But I think it is better to stop at a restaurant than to get them at the grocery store. The ones at the store are usually not so tasty (or good for you either) and are only good in a real rush. Plus they are expensive. Glad you could rescue those boots. I know about being short-I never used to mind but now all the clothes (which are so pretty) are for tall ladies and that is not me. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete