Friday, 7 August 2026

A PostcardA Day - Friday 7 August 2026 - Friday Smiles and Friday Face Off

 

Hello lovely peeps! Happy Friday!
I'm going to show you what made me smile this week. Those of you who read my blog regularly will know that I always start with a postcard. Postcrossing (see here for more info on that) is one of my hobbies so I receive several postcards a week (depending on how many I send myself). 

So my postcard today is a really fun one:
It was sent to me by Marian from Michigan. She is new to Postcrossing. 

And it's a Maxi-card!
Wikipedia says: A maxi card is a postcard with a postage stamp placed on the picture side of the card where the stamp and card match or are in maximum concordance (similarity).

Not every country issues maximum cards (e.g. US did very few) and some which do (e.g. Germany) have only a limited number of releases every year whereas others issue maximum cards for every stamp (e.g. Australia).

On the back of my card it reads: " Did you know? More than 85 million postcards have been mailed around the world through the Postcrossing website."

There are many American postcrossers but the US doesn't do many maxi cards. So I am chuffed to bits (British colloquial for very very pleased). Thank you Marian.


The card I received is actually part of  a series. Read about them here.

Although there is a stamp on the front, because the card was going abroad, it has a stamp on the back too:



Now, what has been going on in my village here in southern Spain...

Because it's so hot, life evolves at night when it is a bit cooler. All the bars have tables and chairs outside and there is a lovely atmosphere around. 


On Saturday night I organise an 'in-person' chat group to practice our language skills. We call it Intercambio.

The local council have given us the use of the youth centre and we are half and half Spanish and English speaking. It's always fun and we do it for an hour and then afterwards we go for a drink somewhere.

Last Saturday we went to Angela's Patio again (see here). You saw the inside, and this is what it looks like from the outside:



This week is Feria week in our village. There are performances every night, the fair rides have arrived and set up at the designated space and people that have moved away from the village, all come home again. The population has tripled and the whole village is in fiesta mode.


There are performances of local dancers and musicians, but also hired bands for the young folk.


People party all night long. I don't usually. I might go for a drink with friends but it is all very busy and very noisy. (Dare I say I'm too old for this lark).

I like to stay home with my cat. His name is Ronnie and in these photos he was cuddling my sandals

and sniffing them.

Silly boy!
Isn't that a cute little face for Friday Face Off?

That is all I have to share today. Of course there will be some funnies at the end in case my cat hasn't made you smile.

Enjoy your weekend and don't forget:
Keep smiling!

Lisca











11 comments:

Rostrose said...

Dear Lisca, I really love this card (and the whole series)! I'd never seen such giant postcards before – or even heard of Postcrossing. I think I would have enjoyed it in the past, as I loved writing and receiving postcards. Now I'm decluttering and don't want to receive or send any more cards (especially since some I sent never arrived).

I think your evening activities and everything your town has to offer sound great – and the language course sounds both worthwhile and like fun and good company. But Ronnie is definitely the most delightful companion. Chiller also loves sniffing shoes, feet, or socks – and coming along to the toilet. That's probably where we smell best of ourselves 😜
Thanks for the laughs!
All the best from Austria, 🤗 Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/07/reisebericht-2025-nanaimo-und-abschied.html

Iris Flavia said...

A fun card indeed! Love the diver, too.
Oh it sounds so great where you are - here it cools down too soon. I admit I don´t know or care if there are events like that here. We share our quiet time on the balcony.
Hihi, Ronnie is the cutest, really.
Black Bags....! Good tip for in case Ingo challenges me with paper flying! The children-names... oh!!!!
Have a great Friday!

mamapez5 said...

That's a fun series of cards.The method of colouring is basic but effective.
I always enjoyed the atmosphere around fiesta time, but I have to admit it was very similar every year so we didn't go as often in the later years. I do miss it a bit though. Sadly this year's was cancelled because of the fire though they did still have the patronal mass.
Your intercambio group is so good. I am sure it helped you learn Spanish. We had one for a while but the Spanish members were all students and the group sort of folded when they had done their exams and gone off to college or work.
I am not sure even Ronnie would want to cuddle my sandals, but to each his own... Kate x

Tom said...

...such fun, whimsical stamps, Thanks for the chuckles!

My name is Erika. said...

Those are cool post crossing stamps and postcards. I have never seen them. And I wonder if the woman who sent them sent hers from Boston, as I see that written on the front of the postcard. It looks very lovely in your town at night. I think if I lived in a town I'd be a bit more of night owl, well not a super night owl, but when you live in the woods there are only things like bears and real owls to see. Grin. Thanks for your fun post. And have a super weekend. Enjoy the fiesta and stay cool. hugs-Erika

Maria Medeiros said...

really lovely postcards and village life looks and sounds amazing! Have a wonderful weekend!

DVArtist said...

OMGosh I'm cracking up with black bags matter. That is too funny. Your post card is grand. I like that it is a series. What a wonderful place you live in. Night time fun, gathering with people to practice language skills, The festival and so much more that you share. Thank you for part of FFO and have a lovely weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an awesome postcard. Loved each of those stamps. And I was surprised at the size of the card.

How fun to see your little town come alive at night. That's such a wise choice. And that also helps your Intercambio group who gather each week.

Loved seeing Ronnie amid your sandals. He's a sweetie.

Laughed at the Paddington photo and black bags matter. Learned the difference between the three political systems. Ours in the states are headed that way with tRump in charge. And that last one is spot on!!! Happy FFO.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Postcrossing sounds like a great hobby! I've never seen a Maxi-card before. I don't think Canada produces them. Your memes at the end are great and gave me some major laughs, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Lovely cards and enjoyed your post!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Celtic house said...

I can understand the need to keep cool of an evening but our evenings have been almost as hot as the day. Your intercambio always sounds like a fun night, learning and a drink out definitely a win win. Love the photo of Ronnie - such a cutie. Hugs