Hello lovely peeps,
Here I am again with a postcard I received this week and of course I have a drink to join Bluebeard and Elizabeth's T-Party. Let's start with the postcard:
It's an image from the film Brief Encounter. In the photo Laura Jesson (Celia Johnson) leans out of the train window and shakes Dr Alec Harvey's (Trevor Howard) hand.
It was sent to me by Jackie who lives in Northern France. Jackie's sister-in-law runs the café at the station it was filmed at in the UK. The station is now a heritage centre. It s called the Carnforth Station Heritage Centre.
Carnforth Heritage Visitor Centre is the famous setting for David Lean’s iconic 1945 film “Brief Encounter”. This once significant railway station is situated at the junction on the West Coast Main line with the lines to Barrow-in-Furness and to Skipton and Leeds.
The station has been lovingly restored and is now an award-winning Heritage Centre and unique conference venue.
The Heritage Centre tells the story of the making of the film and the people involved, including the Life and Times of David Lean, the film’s Director.
As Jackie, who sent me the card, lives in France, there was a French postage stamp ion the card:
It features an image of Le Petit Prince. Le Petit Prince is a children's book, written and illustrated in 1942 by military pilot Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (29 June 1900 – c. 31 July 1944).
Le Monocle writes: He wrote Le Petit Prince while in exile on Long Island after being demobilised. In the story, a stranded pilot meets a prince from a neighbouring asteroid. After encountering six narrow-minded, egocentric characters, the young prince grows disillusioned with the meaning of life. It’s a wise fox who identifies the story’s moral: “L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux” or “What is essential is invisible to the eye.” The message is impossible to misunderstand: the most meaningful aspects of life – love, kindness and friendship – aren’t visible. It’s a predictable moral, perhaps, but the book’s success is anything but.
Wikipedia writes: By November 2024, the book had been translated into 600 different languages and dialects worldwide. It became the second most translated work ever published, trailing only the Bible.
Enough about the little prince. What has been happening here in southern Spain?
Well, our village has had the Feria, the yearly fiesta that lasts a week and attracts a lot of visitors.
Take care, stay safe.
I went on one of the first evenings with my friends (I'm in the middle). It's not very busy yet as it is early. None of us are night birds and neither of us likes the crowds, so this was perfect.
We had the traditional 'pinchos', marinated chicken pieces on a stick and then BBQ-ed. Here are my drinks for Elizabeth and Bluebeard's T-Party.
On a different evening I went again with a different friend and we went for a baked potato. I had 'the works'!
My drink was a beer. We bought two beers each, but I only drank one and the other one I stuck in my bag and put in the fridge when I got home.
On Saturday evening I walked through the village and chanced upon the 'foam fest'. It was probably just finishing because normally the foam is knee deep.
What else have I done this week? Oh yes, I had my hair cut:
Tomorrow, the 12 August 2026, a total solar eclipse will cross Greenland, Iceland and Spain, with Spain becoming one of the best places in the world to witness this rare event.
As you can see by the above map, I will not be able to see it as I live in the south.
So that was all the excitement of the past week.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca
10 comments:
Granada will see an almost total eclipse (like us in Cornwall) - the sun will be reduced to a tiny down-turned crescent of 95% but you'll need to be at a good viewing point to catch the sunset from 7.40pm onwards. Solar Eclipse from Granada • iNMSOL https://share.google/sojLl0kHubptVSYES
Enjoy!
Keren xx
...oh, but don't look directly at it! You'll need a shoebox with a pinhole in to project the image. Even without that it's worth witnessing the eery silence as the sun is blocked...
Love the "Petit Prince"stamp. Didn't know we could visit the "Brief Encounter" station, I love that movie too. Foam Feria looks fun ... and what a mega jacket potato!
Keren
Lisca I love all your photos! The food and friends is so lovely. I have that book and I should give it a read. I have so many books on the go. I look forward to seeing your photos of the eclipse! Two years ago when I was in PEI it was incredible eclipse. Very amazing. Enjoy the rest of your week!
I don´t know the film, but this is pretty "cool"!
Ohhhhh, and Le Petit Prince! Bought the book at age 14 from my pocket money and still have it here!
I still sometimes read in it.
It´s also for adults, maybe you should re-read it?
LOL, night birds, I´m too old for that! Wow on the foam!
Sad you cannot witness the eclipse. But... have a great T-Day!
I have never seen the film or read that book, but I've heard of the book. I really should read it. And I should see if I can see the film too, now that you've explained the train station. How cool. And a yellow jacket is like a wasp. I should have mentioned that. Thanks for reminding me. Your haircut looks great. I had mine done too. And the fiesta looks fun. I must say, that is quite the baked potato. It looks amazing. And I bet it's great with A beer too. I hope you have a super T day and enjoy your partial eclipse. It's partial in my area too, but probably less than in yours. hugs-Erika
Cool backstory about the film and the train station. I love The Little Prince. I read it in French while studying French and read it in German while studying German. The fiesta sounds like a lot of fun. Your floral dress is very pretty. Only a small fraction 13% of the eclipse will be visible from my area so I'm sure one of the news stations will show a bit of it. Happy T Day
First off I absolutely love your new hair cut. It looks very nice on you. That is so interesting about the card and your friend's cafe. One never knows where movies are really made. I think I would like living in the S of Spain. It feels warm, and there is always so much going on. What fun. Also really good food. A foam fest. OMGosh that is so cool. We have nothing like that here. As for the air fryer. This is my 3rd and I have to say for me this is the best one yet. Has taken over my instant pot. LOL Have a lovely day today.
Hi Lisca! I don't think I've ever heard of that movie, but enjoyed reading about the historic train station where it was filmed. I do love "El Principito" which I read in Spanish as a child. A family friend gave it to me on one of my birthdays, as I grew up in Mexico. That "feria" looks like a lot of fun, and the food and beer looks great. When we visited my cousins in Barcelona and Madrid, I drank Estrella, because that's the beer one of my cousins' husband recommended. I can find it in Texas, when I visit larger cities, so I always get a 6-pack to bring back home. Happy T is for Tuesday, my friend!
Never heard of Brief Encounter, but it's great to see where it was filmed.
I've never read The Little Prince, but have heard of it. LOVE the stamp.
Your Feria sounds like fun, but I am also no longer fond of crowds. So good you could spend time with friends. You certainly celebrated with a plethora of drinks, too. I want that baked potato! Thanks for sharing your week and love your haircut.
Lisca, I remember seeing Brief Encounter and really enjoyed it and now if I see it again I will think about the setting now being a cafe. How wonderful to have received a postcard from that location! Unfortunately, I have never read The Little Prince, but know it is a classic. Your town's festival looks like it was a lot of fun for you and your friends. Your haircut looks lovely too 🙂
Post a Comment