Friday 26 July 2024

Postcard A Day - Friday 26 July 2024 - Friday Smiles

 


Hello lovely ladies,  We are having a whopper of a heatwave. Temperatures have been pushing 40, even at night they are nearly 30. It is very tiring. Now a sane person would stay st home and keep calm. No, I have my son and his family over from Italy and they want to go places and see things. So we have been out every day. I am exhausted (but happy to have my family near, lots of smiles).
I will show you a postcard of a cooler place and then tell you what I have been up to.

Here is my postcard:

It was sent to me by Laurel, who lives in San Mateo, California. Of course the Redwood National Park is famous. But I didn't know there were more:
Google writes:
Redwood National and State Parks are a string of protected forests, beaches and grasslands along Northern California’s coast. Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park has trails through dense old-growth woods. Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park is home to Fern Canyon, with its high, plant-covered walls. Roosevelt elk frequent nearby Elk Prairie. Giant redwood clusters include Redwood National Park’s Lady Bird Johnson Grove. ― Google

With this heat, just looking at the shady forest in the picture is pleasant.

The stamp is the orange gerbera, my favorite of the flower stamps:

The cancellation stamp is about Dog bite awareness.

Today (Thursday) I stayed home and let 'the kids' get on with it. I was too tired. They have gone to visit Granada. 

Yesterday we visited Almería city. I love that city as it has lots of culture and things to do and also the harbour and the beach. 
We parked at the harbour and took a taxi to the Alcazaba, the fortress built by Abd al.Rahman in 955 

The above is an aerial photo from Wikipedia, as is the next one:
It's very big and we wandered about for a long time, climbing stairs and changing levels. 
The surrounding parks were beautiful too as the Arabs always had water running everywhere. Very pleasant when it's hot:

Me and my daughter-in-law:

In the same town of Almería we also visited the cathedral:
It's beautiful inside, but the outside looks like a fortress. I suppose it had to be a fortress in the days of fighting the Moors.

One of the large squares
looks like this:
It's called PLaza de la Constitución.

I think that's enough for today. I'll show you more on Tuesday.

Keep smiling!

Have a great weekend,
Lisca

















The translation is: "Look, a shooting star! Make a wish!". "Thats you sell all your kayaks". "I'm sorry! It was a plane..."



































8 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

A T Tuesday friend Caty lives in Almeria City, so I was delighted to see this old fortress. I can only imagine the amount of walking you did.

LOVED photos of the cathedral for those glorious palm trees! Just amazing.

Loved the three glasses of wine and the heat wave. Have a fabulous rest of Friday and a super weekend, dear Lisca. I bet Erika would love that National Park postcard.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, loving the postcard and even more the gorgeous stamp. Looks like another interesting week. I've been to Almeria but a very long time ago but it looks like an interesting place to visit. Hope the rest of your time with the family is just as good. Thanks for the funnies too. Sending hugs Angela xXx

mamapez5 said...

I love going to Al Acazaba. We have taken most of our visitors there, and we eat lunch next to that cool, shady pool. But every time we have gone to the cathedral it has been closed. I hopeto see inside it one day.
It is hot to go out and about with visitors. Fortunately our son is content to work all morning and either reax in the fly-free space, or go down to the beach for a couple of hours early evening. When he comes earlier or later in the year we have some lovely days out.
Thanks for the smiles. Kate x

Annie said...

Love your photos…hope it cools down a little for you. I put on my blog that the twins are at BOA in Birmingham now…that’s about an hour away. They are having a wonderful time.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

I´m sitting in a jumper, it´s but 24C...
A wonderful city and I love your funnies - oh i would so enjoy your heat wave...

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Fabulous photos!
I hope it cools down there.
Love the funnies.

Cloudia said...

Thank you for this fun interlude! Aloha

My name is Erika. said...

I would love to visit that old fortress. The Almeria looks amazing. I bet the view from up there was amazing. And Redwood National and State Parks are beautiful too. I did get to visit there once. Although you may be busy, it must be great to spend time with your son, daughter-in-law and grandson. I hope you're having fun! hugs-Erika