Tuesday 11 October 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 11 October 2022 - T for siamese grooming

 Hello lovely ladies.

I'm writing a post even though I don't know if Elizabeth is back or not. She might have to do jury service if found suitable. We shall see. I hope she will share the experience, if that is allowed.

My card for today is very special, as it is not a card from my Postcrossing club. No, it was sent to me by Elle in Scotland. She is a blog friend. As the 1st of October was World Postcard Day, she sent me a beautiful postcard of a stamp.


And then on top of that she used two beautiful stamps of her Majesty in 1978 and 1980:


Thank you so much Elle! I really appreciate it. It was such a lovely surprise.

Nothing special is happening here. Hubby is not well but we have an oncology appointment on Thursday to see if he can have his chemo therapy.

I still have a few photos from our trip to England which you haven't seen so I will show them here. This is Ringwood, where we stayed in the old pub.

We walked to the end of the street from where the pub was, and there was this beautiful house:
I think it might have been a restaurant, but it was not open.

You can see it has a thatched roof. I think these roofs are typically English. (Or do they have them in other parts too?)


This house was on the same street a bit further along:


There was a beautiful bell pull:

And this plaque gave us some information:

And this little iron gadget next to the front door is to clean your boots from mud and poo:

I had never heard of the Duke of Monmouth. (I should have had as he was born in my home town of Rotterdam).
Wikipedia came to the rescue:

James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth, 1st Duke of BuccleuchKGPC (9 April 1649 – 15 July 1685) was a Dutch-born English nobleman and military officer. Originally called James Crofts or James Fitzroy, he was born in Rotterdam in the Netherlands, the eldest illegitimate son of Charles II of EnglandScotland, and Ireland with his mistress Lucy Walter.

The Duke of Monmouth served in the Second Anglo-Dutch War and commanded English troops taking part in the Third Anglo-Dutch War before commanding the Anglo-Dutch brigade fighting in the Franco-Dutch War. He led the unsuccessful Monmouth Rebellion in 1685, an attempt to depose his uncle King James II and VII. After one of his officers declared Monmouth the legitimate king in the town of Taunton in Somerset, Monmouth attempted to capitalise on his Protestantism and his position as the son of Charles II, in opposition to James, who had become a Roman Catholic. The rebellion failed, and Monmouth was beheaded for treason on 15 July 1685.


He was a handsome fellah:



That was a little history lesson.


Now as I'm going to try to enter this blog into the T-Party, I will need a drink. Let me see what I can find...

In England, when we were still in our caravan, we went to church in Barnstaple. We got talking afterwards with people and one couple promptly invited us to an English cream tea at their house a few days later. In the photo above you can see the scones. She had made savory and sweet scones. The sweet scones are supposed to be eaten with clotted cream and strawberry jam. Yum!

And here we are with a glass of Prosecco! (No tea in sight).

That is all from me today.
Wishing you a very happy T-Day (with or without Elizabeth).
Hugs,
Lisca








4 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Hi Lisca. Sorry to hear about your husband and hope it goes well with the oncologist. That's a fun postcard you received from Elle. And that building with the thatched roof is really amazing. I love the bright red doors too. And your cream tea looks like fun. I'm with you about the sweet scone with cream and jam. It looks yummy, and that was nice of those people to invite you. I'm filling ina s host this week for Elizabeth so I want to say thanks for sharing your T and postcards with us. I hope you have a great T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

That is nice of Elle. I am sorry Graham is having a hard time. As always, prayers and healing energy.

Mae Travels said...

I hope you will soon have some good news about treatments and help for your husband, and that he will enjoy live once again.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Lisca, I didn't see you link up last week, but I saw it now. So glad you received and liked the postcard, they are lovely aren't they. One of my favourites. The stamps too are great. Hope you are coping well. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx