Friday 18 March 2022

A Postcard A Day - Friday 18 March 2022 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies, How are you all? Too much doom and gloom around? The please turn that TV off for a bit and sit down to read the blogposts that talk about happy things, the silver lining and the smiles in our lives. Annie at A Stitch In Time is our host.

My first item is a postcard from the USA (Yes, I did look for an Irish one but I haven't got any):

It was sent to me by Indigo who lives in Kotzebue, Alaska. She is a nurse too and works in public health.
This is what Kotzebue looks like (Wikipedia):
And this is where it is:


The stamp matches the card in colour. Very pretty don't you think?


What has been happening here? We have had a good week. A bit unusual, but not bad.

I don't seem to have made a collage for Friday, but not much has happened on that day. 
I cooked breaded fish and made some chips in the air fryer. (Excuse the spilled drink).
Hubby spent the afternoon cleaning out his work car. He keeps tools in there and it was a mess.

On Saturday I went on a coach trip with the ladies of the local Women's Association. We went to an area 80 km from where we live. We visited several villages, the most famous of which is La Calahorra with its iconic castle:
The aim was to see the murals. Every village has at least three murals. They are to do with domestic violence, women's equality and cultural women's issues.
It was really interesting (and fun).
Then on Sunday I went for a long walk in the surroundings of our village. It started with a message from my gym teacher: Who fancies a walk around the village? More people got to know about it and soon 60 people had put their name down. In the end 50 turned up. It was great and the weather cooperated too.

Monday is our grocery shopping day. I was surprised to find empty shelves! People are panic buying again and there was no flour to be had and the sunflower oil is rationed (I didn't need any as I have enough of both, but it's interesting).
Outside in the car park I noticed that the sky had become orange. The sandstorm had begun!

Looking out of the window in the morning we couldn't see very far. We were in an orange shroud. Not nice when you have to drive more than 100 km to get to a hospital appointment on time. 
But we got there OK. The hospital is a large teaching hospital and everything was colour coordinated with coloured bands along the wall. We were going to the radiology department and had to follow the orange band. How clever! The appointment went well and hubby will start his radiotherapy next week.  On the way back home, we stopped at our usual restaurant for a well deserved lunch. 

The 'mist' didn't lift until the next day. And then the rains came! I had to go to the village health center to get hubby's prescription in the pouring rain and other than that I didn't go out. We are very glad it's rained after a long drought.
Yesterday hubby spent a lot of time cleaning the patio and two of the three terraces. What a job!
We picked up the tyre we ordered on Monday. In the evening I went to my friend's house where I met Margaret , whom I had heard so much about, and her husband.
That was my week. 
As per usual I will finish with some funnies and 'thinkies' (as Valerie calls them).

Have a lovely weekend,

Keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca
















10 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca You had another busy week, the tour sounded fun-and I love that photo of the castle with those mountains-awesome view.
That was quite the gathering of friends for a walk-that was nice, and I enjoy your collages-you are always so busy which is a good thing.
Hope everything goes well with your husband's treatment.
Happy Friday and weekend hugs Kathy

Iris Flavia said...

Funny card, sadly true!
Oh, your food looks yummy!
Stunning pic and great murals, too. Your Sunday walk looks refreshing normal.
Your supper looks good, like Nasii Goreng with egg, hmmm, hadn´t had the like forever! Or Chicken frikassee for that matter. Or.. yum!

Yep... let´s see, I could even bet some parents might come up with that.
Not only for dog poo, clever. Fear is a very good one, too.
Thank you for the smiles, hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a cute postcard. Nice to learn more about that portion of Alaska.

You always make me so hungry when I visit. I got hungry right at the beginning with fish and chips.

I enjoyed revisiting the murals, and how nice you and all the town got together for that long walk.

What a mess with the sandstorm. The debris it left is unreal.

I wish Graham good luck with his treatments. They are long overdue.

Some clever and cute funnies this week, Lisca. I saw the Poo tin on another friend's blog, so it must be making the rounds. Hope all is well with you and you have a super weekend, dear.

Celtic house said...

You look like you've had a very busy week, the trip out to the castle sounds fantastic. Your food always looks amazing and well done hubby on the spring clean. Have a lovely weekend and week ahead xxx

mamapez5 said...

Hi Lisca. That was a fun postcard and the stamp is lovely.
It looks as though the storm didn't hit you quite as hard as it did down here. It is still too wet to attempt a clean-up but Chris is hoping to get on it at the start of next week.
That was a great walk you did. how nice to get so many folf interested in joining in.
The trip sound great. There are so many lovely places around that we don't get to see or even know about unless we do an organised trip. I am glad you enjoyed it.
I hope Graham's treatment goes well.I'll be thinking of you both. Kate x

Annie said...

I hope Graham’s treatment goes well. That looks like a dreadful sand storm...what a mess everywhere. Love the funnies/thinkies.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

That stamp is more than pretty, it's amazing! I am in awe of the wonderful artwork used on stamps. I don't understand panic buying and I bet a good deal of what they buy ends up in the waste bin while others have to do without. How wonderful that so many people joined you for the walk looks like a great day out. Interesting funnies too. Must go washer's just finished and I want to get the washing out while it's sunny. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lynn Holland said...

I was going to ask how hubby is doing and now I know. Send him a hug from me. I’m not liking the sound of the sand storm. I encountered one once in Fuerventura and it wasn’t nice.
You’ve given me a right chuckle with the funnies. Well done.
Have a good week and I hope things are okay for you over there
Lynn xxx

LA Paylor said...

I love your friday round ups... glad you're surviving illness, sandstorms, food shortages etc. Glad you went on a coach tour and it's just the thing I would love to do too. You stay very busy.

DVArtist said...

Wonderful funnies. Yes, turn the TV off and blog, or do something fun. Hope you are feeling better by now.