Friday 14 August 2020

A Postcard A Day - Friday 14 August 2020 - Friday Smiles

 

Hello lovely ladies,
Here we are again on Friday to share our smiles with Annie at A Stitch In Time and with Virginia at Rocking Your Week Friday, and with anyone who would like to join us with a positive outlook and a smile.
My week has been very good and full of smiles. We continue to enjoy life here in the sun. Although I must admit it is very hot. But that's normal for August. We limit going outside to early mornings and evenings.
On Friday morning I went for a walk with my best friend and afterwards stopped for a large freshly squeezed orange juice.
In the evening there was an exhibition of the photo exhibition. We (the photo club Afoca) had had some masks specially made with the Afoca logo on it. Needless to say that many winners were photoclub members.

The translation of the Spanish funny reads: 
"The masks from the Alpujarras have finally arrived. F...k the Chinese. Spanish product, maximum quality"

Saturday I made a cheesecake to take to the meeting on Sunday. 

 

On Sunday we follow two different online church services, and in the evening the photo exhibition came to an end and there was a string quartet playing popular music (like a Mama Mia medley and songs by Ed Sheeran). Then we had the prize giving. The lady behind the lectern is Maria, our mayoress, and the lady in the green dress is Loli, her assistant.
On Monday morning I went for a long walk again with my friend and we love to see all the lovely fruit growing. The quinces are coming on, but not ripe yet.
I went to the post office to collect a parcel. It was heavy. (I knew it would be and I should have come in the car) I had ordered a tortilla press. So in the evening, guess what we had for supper ....
Tuesday we woke up to a black sky and we expected a thunder storm. But it did not materialize.
Hubby cooked me a full English breakfast for lunch and I baked a large cake for our friends from Holland. 
That evening hubby and I had 'date night' at the pool again. Very nice indeed.
And although our Dutch friends had not yet been the full quarentine period, we couldn't wait and went to see them late Tuesday evening to bring the cake round. We sat outside and chatted and drank wine until gone 1 a.m.! 

The next day hubby and I went to our plot to harvest some veggies. The Padron peppers are ready. And we picked some figs with our neighbour as the tree is on the border between our plots.
Later that day we organized for our Dutch friends to come to the pool, and we had a lovely time.
I've been given some material and I bought some white material for lining and now I am sewing a face mask. But strangely enough my sewing machine would not sew the white material! I ended up with needle holes but no stitching. Then I tried with a heavier fabric and it worked fine. Then a lighter fabric, also worked fine. I even managed to sew through a piece of paper, but as soon as I put that white fabric under the needle, it wouldn't do it! 

It's crazy! I don't want to change the tension as I don't want to mess around with that. It is the perfect tension for most fabrics. (obviously not this white one). Annie might have some idea as she knows all about temperamental sewing machines.
That was my week. I hope yours was a good week too.
I will put some funnies at the end as per usual.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca




For those that don't recognise this plant: it is marihuana.




6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful week and I like the sound of the string quartet.
    Thanks for making Friday morning a smiley one. I don’t know how you come up with it all haha
    Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading about your busy week....would have loved to be in that pool with you to cool off. Your funnies got me chuckling as always.
    As for your sewing machine....my top of the range latest machine has moments like that...I usually change the needle and that helps but if all else fails I switch it off, put it in the naughty corner and use one of my other machines!! That usually teaches it a lesson :-)
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! you've had another wonderful happy week! So glad you got to enjoy the pool and wine & cake with friends. I don't know anything about sewing, but that's sounds frustrating ~ My daughter plays Violin and I miss her concerts, I hope she gets to play again soon. So far we are going to be virtual it sounds like until the end of Jan. unless our #'s drop. Great funnies too! enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisca, pleased to see you'r week has gone well, the pool looked wonderful. Most areas in the UK seem to have had some rain and thunderstorms but as usual so far we have had nothing. This City is not well known to people in the rest of the country and it looks like the same goes for the weather! The sewing machine thing seems rather odd as there appears to be holes on the white fabric. I certainly would not go altering the tension as it looks fine on the other fabrics but Annie's right it might be worth changing the needle to something finer, it might work and if not use some other fabric! Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Spanish mask Lisca. That did make me smile. Full marks to graham for digging out the foundation of his shed in this heat.
    You seem to keep busier than me, and it is probably a degree or two hotter up where you are. I am certainly not doing much baking. My kitchen gets far too hot.
    That is strange the way your machine refused the white fabric. I think I would have put a narrow strip of fine material over it and stitched through them all together.
    I love that apple and raisin Herman cake, but it is a bit sugar over-loaded for me. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you've had a busy week and friends to spend time with looks lovely. We too are looking for a new shed for hubby and his silversmithing but the one I want is out of stock as there is a real shortage of such things in the UK, it is crazy.

    I hope you have a lovely week (loved the funnies definitely made me giggle tonight!).

    ReplyDelete