Tuesday 17 October 2017

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 17 October 2017 - T for Middlesex and cesar salad


Hello lovely people! Here I am again. I haven't joined the T-party for a while now as I have been travelling and we didn't have internet everywhere. But we are back now. It's good to be home again. Good to be in the sun again. Good to sleep in my own bed.

No postcard today from me. I haven't received any while I was away (I put my Postcrossing account on hold).

As it's T for Tuesday, I would like to share something drink related. When we were in the UK we visited many old friends and one couple of friends (C &D) took us out for lunch at the golf club in Farringdon (Somerset) which was about a mile from where we were staying. It was a lovely place with fantastic views:
Here is hubby (with hat) with C&D enjoying the view:
We ordered and didn't have to wait long for our order to come through:
Me on the left, then C opposite my hubby and lastly D.
Hubby had ordered a traditional pie with chips. We can't get this sort of fare in Spain.
The chips (US:fries) were really delicious.
Mine was a Cesar salad, but it was the strangest looking Cesar I have ever had:
The two 'lumps' were a sort of potato salad with perhaps a hint of chicken. There were two bits of ham and lots of anchovis. The yellow things are crackers and the lettuce is covered with a drizzle of yogurt. It might be typically English, but I usually have real chicken, croutons, Parmesan shavings and a special Cesar Salad sauce on a bed of lettuce. Needles to say I was disappointed. So we decided to have our dessert and coffee elsewhere.
We drove to Bath (an ancient Roman town East of Bristol) and visited the Bath Mill:
A gorgeous place. We all admired the lamps as we came into reception:

Further in there were more hats:
I took this picture from where we were sitting:
And to the other way:
Here is a close-up of the quote:
I think Jane Austen used to live in Bath.

I was so busy taking pictures that I forgot to photograph what we had for dessert, but here is a shot of what was on offer in the line of cakes:
The gardens are beautiful. It used to be a camp site and we had camped there with our motorhome(RV) only last year. Here is hubby enjoying the gardens:
I realize this has become a rather long, photo heavy blog post but I do want to share what I have been reading. I've read loads of books on my Kindle while on holiday, but this one was quite unforgettable:


This wonderful book is a  sweeping, three-generation epic novel that covers the lives of Calliope's grandparents, parents, and her own childhood It is a saga with a twist in the end as the protagonist Calliope is born a hermaphrodite (5α-Reductase deficiency). Middlesex refers to the name of their house in Grosse Point but also to her gender, which is in the middle between male and female. The first three quarters of the book is the family saga and the last part is about how Callie copes with being different.
I loved it. It is beautifully written and is 530 page long. When books are that good I don't want them to end. So 500 odd page is good.


Well done if you are still with me. I'm going to link up with dear Elizabeth and Bluebeard at T for Tuesday. Want to join me? Just include anything with a drink in it.


Have a good week everyone and keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca






14 comments:

  1. SO glad to welcome you home, dear Lisca. You have made my day. That was one weird Cesar salad. I can tell you were disappointed.

    I have a friend I've known since college who lives in Bath. He told me he would take me to the world famous bath house there if I came to visit. He also said he would show me the world famous Royal Crescent. Did you get to see either?

    I LOVED those hat lamps. In fact, when I saw the photo of the two lamps sitting near the computers, I thought they would make great hats.

    Thanks for sharing your lovely travel photos, the meal, the dessert, and your wine with us for T this Tuesday. It's delightful welcoming you home again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome home Lisca! It sure looks as though you visited many lovely places. I've heard Bath is a beautiful town to visit. Love the hats! The Cesar salad I'm not so sure about. I never saw anything like it. And here I thought Cesar salad was pretty much universal and the same everywhere...
    I love reading and also don't mind many pages so long as the read keeps my attention and is interesting. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Lisca's home!!! Woman you have been missed around these parts! :) Hmmm.... most of the time when i order a Cesar Salad it does not have meat with it.... i don't think... haven't had one in awhile... So glad you got to visit with friends and family on your trip.. You shared some great photos.

    I'm rereading the Outlander series at the moment.. I don't reread things often but this is pretty good. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see where you traveled. That is not my idea of a Caesar Salad, what a shame. The cakes look good though. Thanks for the book recommendation, I will look for it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home! so wonderful that you are to able to travel to so many places. I would have asked the waitress if this was really a casesar salad-that definately does not look like one for sure. I enjoy all the photos-the hat lamp-very cool.
    Thank you for the book review--Happy T Day Hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand you being happy to be home again - no place like home. Sorry you were disappointed with your salad, but that lovely place with the hats surely made up for it. You visited some wonderful places. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved seeing all your photos of the happy time you had in Somerset! The countryside looked lovely and it looks like your hubby had a great lunch too! I've never heard of that version of Caeser Salad before either, so I'm not sure it's an English thing or maybe just a restaurant owner thing ...lol 😉. So nice to see you having fun on your travels and wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊 o

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was an unusual Caesar salad indeed. Not many people that I know like anchovies. I think I would have sent it back.

    Love those creative clever lampshades. Bath is just lovely. I marvel at it every time you share your travel stories of Bath.

    With you all the way, Lisca. Thank you for the review of a must-read! I just finished Silent Child by Sarah A. Denzil. If you haven't read it and like books with a twist at the end, this book has a bunch of them.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a lovely post to read Lisca and all the photos of your holiday travels looked super. It was a great view you had in the restaurant and I think my hubby would have chosen the same meal as yours. However the Caesar salad didn't look like I would have expected here in the UK either.
    Thank you for telling us about the book, it sounds a good one.
    Happy T day wishes
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an interesting salad you had. Must be some chef's special take on it. I also really enjoyed that book. I read it many years ago but I still remember it. It sounds like you had a fantastic trip, but it is always good to come home. Glad you're back. Happy T day. Erika

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pictures are lovely! My favorite is the top hat light...so unique. Your trip sounds so wonderful.
    Happy Tea Day!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had a good time and that book does sound good. I'll have to look for it. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm buying nicer yarn than I've used before and it has made my knitting and crochet so much more enjoyable . Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice to see you back:) These lamps really are original!
    i love cesar´s salad too, but i´m with you: never had this Kind of it;)
    have a good time back home also - and happy belated t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The place you went to for dessert looks interesting - I have made a note of it for if ever we get down that way again! I don't why some chefs feel the need to mess with a perfectly good classic - I once saw one on the menu that had my least favourite - mixed leaves - as the base - when I asked it was possible to have it with Cos or another green lettuce I was told that that was the way it came - I didn't order! Proper Chicken Caesar Salad is one of my favourite dishes! At least they seem to know how to make pie - one of my sons has a big thing about pies having a proper base and has been know to make a big fuss after asking if it was 'Proper pie' and then being served with pie with only a top! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete